Splunk Search

Eval Case Sequence on Conditions

Mary666
Communicator

Hi Splunk Community,

How does Spunk prioritize conditional case functions? Lets say I have a case function with 2 conditions - they work fine, and results are as expected, but then lets say I flip the conditions. What I see happen when I flip the conditions in the case function the results are not correct. Shouldn't Splunk be able to still check which condition it applies to even though I have flipped the conditions?  Example below:

Case: TimeSchedule should output the closest 7th min or 37th min - so every half hour past the 7th min or 37th min from the zipTime_epoch.

Works Fine as output TimeSchedule should be 2021-03-06 23:37:59.000000

| makeresults
| eval zipTime="2021-03-06 23:35:59.000"
| eval zipTime_epoch=strptime(zipTime, "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%6N")
| eval lastunzip_hour=tonumber(strftime(zipTime_epoch, "%H"))
| eval lastunzip_min=tonumber(strftime(zipTime_epoch, "%M"))
| eval lastunzip_sec=round(zipTime_epoch%60,6)
| eval TimeSchedule=strftime(case(lastunzip_min%30 < 7, zipTime_epoch-zipTime_epoch%1800+420+lastunzip_sec,lastunzip_min!=37 AND lastunzip_min!=7, zipTime_epoch-zipTime_epoch%1800+2220+lastunzip_sec,1=1,zipTime_epoch),"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%6N")

| table TimeSchedule, zipTime, lastunzip_hour, lastunzip_min, lastunzip_sec, zipTime_epoch

Does not work fine when case in conditions are flipped- output should be 2021-03-06 23:37:59.000000 instead.

| makeresults
| eval zipTime="2021-03-06 23:35:59.000"
| eval zipTime_epoch=strptime(zipTime, "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%6N")
| eval lastunzip_hour=tonumber(strftime(zipTime_epoch, "%H"))
| eval lastunzip_min=tonumber(strftime(zipTime_epoch, "%M"))
| eval lastunzip_sec=round(zipTime_epoch%60,6)
| eval TimeSchedule=strftime(case( lastunzip_min!=37 AND lastunzip_min!=7, zipTime_epoch-zipTime_epoch%1800+2220+lastunzip_sec,lastunzip_min%30 < 7, zipTime_epoch_epoch-zipTime_epoch_epoch%1800+420+lastunzip_sec,1=1,zipTime_epoch),"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%6N")

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@Mary666,

Case statement checks the conditions in given sequence and exits on the first match. That is why order depends on your conditions. 

In your second sample case, lastunzip_min values less than 7 will not hit to second case since they are not equal to 7, so they will end up by adding 2220 seconds.

On below sample order is not important;

| eval result=case(a=1,3,b=2,7)

| eval result=case(b=2,7,a=1,3)
If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@Mary666,

Case statement checks the conditions in given sequence and exits on the first match. That is why order depends on your conditions. 

In your second sample case, lastunzip_min values less than 7 will not hit to second case since they are not equal to 7, so they will end up by adding 2220 seconds.

On below sample order is not important;

| eval result=case(a=1,3,b=2,7)

| eval result=case(b=2,7,a=1,3)
0 Karma

Mary666
Communicator

Hi @scelikok 

Let me know if I’m tracking correctly, case will take the first match as the answer?

On my question the query’s - the min of the time stamp is 35, and both conditions are true, since min is not 37 and not 7 on first case, and on the second the modulus operator is working like so 35%30 = 5 which makes it <7 - which makes it also true...

so since both are true it will grab the first match...

adding 2220 in seconds instead of 427 in seconds....

0 Karma

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Mary666 ,

Yes,correct. Case stops on the very first match. 

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...