Splunk Search

Distinct results with multiple fields & multiple queries?

mrhodes93
Explorer

Hi all, I've been struggling with a good query for this for a few days. Basically I'm trying to track users that drop off between pages in a guided web application.

I'm able to get the results for Page1 and for Page2 individually, but I don't know how to combine the two queries to get the desired result. I don't know if I need to work with join or distinct count.

alt text

Basically on page1 I can dedup the AccoutNum, UserID (I don't care if the same user comes through with the same account), but I do care if a different user does. Users B and F both came to page one with account 567, but only F proceeded.

I really want to learn so any guided help or explanation would be amazing. Please let me know if anything is unclear.

0 Karma
1 Solution

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
| makeresults 
| eval Page_1="A,123#A,123#A,810#B,567#C,834#D,395#E,928#F,567"
| eval Page_1=split(Page_1,"#")
| mvexpand Page_1
| rex field=Page_1 "(?<UserID>\w),(?<AccountNum>\d+)"
| table UserID AccountNum
| eval source="Page1"
| append [|makeresults
| eval Page_2="A,123#D,395#F,567"
| eval Page_2=split(Page_2,"#")
| mvexpand Page_2
| rex field=Page_2 "(?<UserID>\w),(?<AccountNum>\d+)"
| eval source="Page2"]
| stats values(A*) as A* dc(source) as flag by UserID AccountNum
| where flag = 1

What's your query?

View solution in original post

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
| makeresults 
| eval Page_1="A,123#A,123#A,810#B,567#C,834#D,395#E,928#F,567"
| eval Page_1=split(Page_1,"#")
| mvexpand Page_1
| rex field=Page_1 "(?<UserID>\w),(?<AccountNum>\d+)"
| eval source="Page1"
| append [|makeresults
| eval Page_2="A,123#D,395#F,567"
| eval Page_2=split(Page_2,"#")
| mvexpand Page_2
| rex field=Page_2 "(?<UserID>\w),(?<AccountNum>\d+)"
| eval source="Page2"]
| stats values(A*) as A* dc(source) as flag by UserID AccountNum
| where flag = 1

What's your query?

mrhodes93
Explorer

Okay let me work with this. I presented the question in a sample table but my query (for page 1) looks something like this:

sourcetype="PCF:log" "/page1" | rex field=msg "UserID: (?\w+)" | rex field=msg "AccountNum: (?\w+)" | dedup UserID, AccountNum | table UserID, AccountNum

The only difference for page 2 would be the literal "/page2". How would this information change what you've posted above?

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
sourcetype="PCF:log" "/page1" OR "/page2" 
| rex field=msg "UserID: (?<UserID>\w+)" 
| rex field=msg "AccountNum: (?<AccountNum>\w+)" 
| streamstats window=1 count(eval(searchmatch("/page1"))) as page_one count(eval(searchmatch("/page2"))) as page_two
| where page_one > 0 AND page_two > 0
| table UserID, AccountNum

mrhodes93
Explorer

I was able to get exactly what I needed by simply removing the the makesresults through the table commands replacing with my two queries noted. I greatly appreciate the help @to4kawa!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...