Splunk Search

Difficulty Locating Newly Added Calculated Field (Eval)

Ismail_BSA
Path Finder

Hello,

I recently encountered an issue with Splunk Cloud. After creating a new eval in the "Fields" menu under "calculated fields," named 'src' for the source type "my_source_type," I adjusted the permissions to make it readable and writable for my role, with app permissions set to all apps. However, upon saving these permissions, the eval disappeared, and I couldn't locate it anywhere.

Thinking it might not have saved properly, I attempted to recreate it with the same name and source type. However, when I tried to adjust the permissions, I received a red error banner stating: "Splunk could not update permissions for resource data/props/calcfields [HTTP 409] [{'type': 'ERROR', 'code': None, 'text': 'Cannot overwrite existing app object'}]"

Any recommendations on where I should search to locate the initially created eval that seems to have gone missing?

Thank you.

Labels (2)
0 Karma

SanjayReddy
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Ismail_BSA 

you can use following restcall to find caluclated fields created by you 

| rest splunk_server=local services/data/props/calcfields/  | search author = <yourid> | table attribute field.name eai:acl.app author eai:acl.sharing 

----
Regards,
Sanjay Reddy

----
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated

Ismail_BSA
Path Finder

Hi @SanjayReddy 

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunatelly, this is not working since your proposed commend will display the same fields as in the menu Fields>calculated fields. I think the issue is more related to the authorisations.  I am 100% sure that I allowed my role to read/write the newly created varaible. But I can't find it.

Regards.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Combine Multiline Logs into a Single Event with SOCK: a Step-by-Step Guide for ...

Combine multiline logs into a single event with SOCK - a step-by-step guide for newbies Olga Malita The ...