Splunk Search

Can I create a search parameter that maps to multiple field values?

griffins
Explorer

For context, I'm creating a dashboard where a user can search activity of all hosts in an environment or one host in that same environment. Unfortunately, the naming convention used for hostnames makes searching all hosts in a specific environment a bit more complicated than using a single field/value pair with a wildcard. For example, searching all non-production hosts would require a search similar to the following in my case:

index=servers host!="*prd*" AND (host="*30*" OR host="*40*")

In the dashboard, I'd like the user to be able to select a single hostname from a dropdown, or an "All Servers" option from the dropdown.

With that being said, is there a way I can map all the hostnames to a single "field value" such that something like...

index=servers host=allhosts

...would accomplish the same thing as my initial search example?

This would be helpful as it would allow me to use a token for the host field when a user selects an option from the hosts dropdown.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

jamie00171
Communicator
0 Karma

jamie00171
Communicator

hi @griffins ,

Could use an eventype for this: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.6/Knowledge/Abouteventtypes

Thanks, 

Jamie

0 Karma

griffins
Explorer

I think this would work; however, after reading through some of the eventtype documentation, search macros were suggested if I was looking to shorten a search. So I was able to create what I needed using search macros, but I believe your suggestion would also work 🙂

Thank you!

0 Karma

jamie00171
Communicator

Could you use*

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...