Splunk Enterprise

Why can't I change ingest index for WinEventLog?

andrewixl

Hello, I am fairly new to the splunk administration side of things.

I am attempting to change the ingest index for WinEventLog from index=main > index=windows

I am on a single instance splunk enterprise system.

I have tried two methods both on the splunk server:

1.  props.conf and transforms.conf

/opt/splunk/etc/system/local/transforms.conf:

[RedirectWinEventLog]
REGEX = WinEventLog
DEST_KEY = _MetaData:Index
FORMAT = windows

[Redirectwineventlog]
REGEX = wineventlog
DEST_KEY = _MetaData:Index
FORMAT = windows

/opt/splunk/etc/system/local/props.conf:

[WinEventLog]
TRANSFORMS-index = RedirectWinEventLog

[wineventlog]
TRANSFORMS-index = Redirectwineventlog

After restarting splunk and the Windows UF, the logs were still going to index=main

2. input.conf

/opt/splunk/etc/system/local/inputs.conf

[WinEventLog]
index = windows

After restarting splunk and the Windows UF, the logs were still going to index=main

I am at my witts end searching documentation and forums.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

It could be many things including:

It is "inputs.conf", not "input.conf" and this file needs to be sent to the UF itself which will NOT have a "/opt/splunk/etc/system/local/" directory (it would be "/opt/splunkforwarder/etc/system/local/", but that is not really the right place for it in any case).

If you are using transforms like this, the pros.conf/transforms.conf files must be deployed to the first full instance of Splunk that handles those events.  Assuming that you are using Windows UF (there are MANY other options for getting Windows Events), this means EITHER your indexers (every one of them) OR your HF tier (best to be safe and send it everywhere).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...