Splunk Enterprise

Universal Forwarder Local Clock

santosh_sshanbh
Path Finder

I have more than 100 UF deployed and wan to know the date and time of each of the forwarders to be shown in real time basis on a dashboards. How I can read the clock data of a UF on a real time basis?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

Best practice is that all of your forwarders uses a synchronised time source, in many cases thats likely NTP or the Windows Time Service.

The problem with your question, is how would you trust what a UF thinks its time is vs what it really is.

You would be relying on the UF knowing two times - the real time, and its local time.
You could write a simple scripted input to query a known good time source like an ntp server, and write its result alongside your UF's local time into a logfile and configure your inputs.conf to collect both times so you could compare any drift (but you can expect a few ms difference between the two even on a perfectly synced system)

Then, there is your use of the dreaded phrase "real time". At the risk of running away on a tangent, take a look at this post for reasons why "real-time" in your use case is probably a bad idea.
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/734767/why-are-realtime-searches-disliked-in-the-splunk-w.html

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!
0 Karma

santosh_sshanbh
Path Finder

Thanks for the inputs. QQ, can you share some thoughts on how to get the time of NTP server?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...

Adoption of Infrastructure Monitoring at Splunk

Splunk's Growth Engineering team showcases one of their first Splunk product adoption-Splunk Infrastructure ...

Modern way of developing distributed application using OTel

Recently, I had the opportunity to work on a complex microservice using Spring boot and Quarkus to develop a ...