Splunk Enterprise

Splunk on Windows - Disable message about workload mgmt unsupported

NoSpaces
Communicator

Have a nice day!
I have several Splunk instances and often see the message below:

WorkloadsHandler [111560 TcpChannelThread] - Workload mgmt is not supported on this system.

I know that the workload feature is not supported on the windows system, and it is obviously disabled
How can I get rid of this annoying message in the splunkd.log?

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

tscroggins
Influencer

Hi @NoSpaces,

You can reduce the log level of WorkloadsHandler in %SPLUNK_HOME%\etc\log-local.cfg. Create the file if it does not exist and add the following:

[splunkd]
category.WorkloadsHandler=FATAL

Restart Splunk to allow the change to take effect.

You can temporarily change the active level on a running instance from Settings > Server settings > Server logging > WorkloadsHandler or using the REST API:

curl -k -u admin https://localhost:8089/services/server/logger/WorkloadsHandler -d level=FATAL

curl is shipped with all modern releases of Windows, but you can use whichever HTTP client you prefer.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

tscroggins
Influencer

Hi @NoSpaces,

You can reduce the log level of WorkloadsHandler in %SPLUNK_HOME%\etc\log-local.cfg. Create the file if it does not exist and add the following:

[splunkd]
category.WorkloadsHandler=FATAL

Restart Splunk to allow the change to take effect.

You can temporarily change the active level on a running instance from Settings > Server settings > Server logging > WorkloadsHandler or using the REST API:

curl -k -u admin https://localhost:8089/services/server/logger/WorkloadsHandler -d level=FATAL

curl is shipped with all modern releases of Windows, but you can use whichever HTTP client you prefer.

0 Karma

marnall
Builder

How did you disable the workload management? Via web, cli, or rest?

What is the host system producing these messages? (e.g. various indexers? Search head?) Can you then go to those hosts and then disable workload management in the CLI?

Ref: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.2.1/Workloads/Enableworkloadmanagement

0 Karma

NoSpaces
Communicator

I didn't disable workload management because I couldn't enable it
This feature is not supported by Windows installation
These messages are generated by members of IDXC, manager node and only one SHC (cluster captain)

0 Karma

marnall
Builder

Could you try explicitly disabling workload management? Tscroggins has the instructions to do that above.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...