Splunk Enterprise

How to calculate the difference in count of last two columns where the columns will increase dynamically

Keerthana_18
Explorer

Hi Everyone,

I am new to Splunk. Could someone help me and provide the search for the below query: That would be Great!!

I have a search which gives below results by doing comparison of last week and current week and it shows the count of each status in weekly manner.

DateActiveInactiveDeletedAdded
09/10/215020520

I will be sending the above result to lookup file every week data to provide the summary.(| outputlookup append=true summary.csv)

The lookup file looks like below after 3 weeks.

DateActiveInactiveDeletedAdded
09/10/20215020520
16/10/202155151030
23/10/20216010815

Date column keeps on growing dynamically each week,  always I need to  calculate difference between last two column and create new column to tell the difference. The result am expecting is below. 

Status09/10/202116/10/202123/10/2021Difference b/w last 2 columns
Active5055605
Inactive201510-5
Deleted5108-2
Added203015-15
Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The part before the blank lines sets up dummy data and would be replaced by your search/inputlookup

The process is to list the values from the previous and current line, then remove the additional values for all but the last line. Then mvexpand the last line, resetting the first copy to its original state. Now the last line has both values (note the addition of the "-" for the second value), which can then be summed. Finally, transpose to get the layout required.

Note the use of leading underscores in some of the field names to hide them from the foreach.

| makeresults
| eval _raw="Date	Active	Inactive	Deleted	Added
09/10/2021	50	20	5	20
16/10/2021	55	15	10	30
23/10/2021	60	10	8	15"
| multikv forceheader=1
| table Date	Active	Inactive	Deleted	Added

| streamstats list(*) as * window=2
| streamstats count as _row
| eventstats max(_row) as _last
| foreach *
    [| eval <<FIELD>>=if(_row=_last,mvappend(mvindex('<<FIELD>>',1),"-".mvindex('<<FIELD>>',0)),if(mvcount('<<FIELD>>')>1,mvindex('<<FIELD>>',1),'<<FIELD>>'))]
| mvexpand Date
| streamstats count as _copy by _row
| eval Date=if(_copy=2,"Difference",Date)
| rename Date as _Date
| foreach *
    [| eval <<FIELD>>=if(mvcount=1,<<FIELD>>,if(_copy=1,mvindex(<<FIELD>>,0),<<FIELD>>))]
| eventstats sum(*) as * by _row _copy
| rename _Date as Date
| fields - _*
| transpose 0 header_field=Date column_name=Status

View solution in original post

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The part before the blank lines sets up dummy data and would be replaced by your search/inputlookup

The process is to list the values from the previous and current line, then remove the additional values for all but the last line. Then mvexpand the last line, resetting the first copy to its original state. Now the last line has both values (note the addition of the "-" for the second value), which can then be summed. Finally, transpose to get the layout required.

Note the use of leading underscores in some of the field names to hide them from the foreach.

| makeresults
| eval _raw="Date	Active	Inactive	Deleted	Added
09/10/2021	50	20	5	20
16/10/2021	55	15	10	30
23/10/2021	60	10	8	15"
| multikv forceheader=1
| table Date	Active	Inactive	Deleted	Added

| streamstats list(*) as * window=2
| streamstats count as _row
| eventstats max(_row) as _last
| foreach *
    [| eval <<FIELD>>=if(_row=_last,mvappend(mvindex('<<FIELD>>',1),"-".mvindex('<<FIELD>>',0)),if(mvcount('<<FIELD>>')>1,mvindex('<<FIELD>>',1),'<<FIELD>>'))]
| mvexpand Date
| streamstats count as _copy by _row
| eval Date=if(_copy=2,"Difference",Date)
| rename Date as _Date
| foreach *
    [| eval <<FIELD>>=if(mvcount=1,<<FIELD>>,if(_copy=1,mvindex(<<FIELD>>,0),<<FIELD>>))]
| eventstats sum(*) as * by _row _copy
| rename _Date as Date
| fields - _*
| transpose 0 header_field=Date column_name=Status

Keerthana_18
Explorer

Thanky @ITWhisperer .

Great! Awesome, it worked as excepted.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I don't understand - the second table is teansposed versus the first one. So what exactly do you want?

0 Karma

Keerthana_18
Explorer

Hello,

From the lookup file i need to do transpose then I want to find the difference of last column(last 2 weeks) in new column called Difference.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...