Reporting

Regex - How to extract multiple words?

POR160893
Builder

Hi,

if I had logs as such:

"Client authentication successful PAN-OS ver: 9.1.11-h3 Panorama ver:10.1.6-h3 Client IP: 10.68.196.211 Server IP: 10.58.217.123 Client CN: 013101004861"

"Client authentication successful PAN-OS ver: 9.1.11 Panorama ver:10.1.6-h6 Client IP: 10.58.90.53 Server IP: 10.58.90.200 Client CN: 010401005346",

How can I extract BOTH the PAN-OS and Panorma ver, i.e, 9.1.11, 10.1.6-h6, 10.1.6-h3, 9.1.11-h3????

I tried the following but it doesn't work - | rex field=body "[Panorama][PAN-OS]\s*:(?<Software_Version>.+?) Client"

Can you please help?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

FelixLeh
Contributor

If you want both in the same field use:

| rex field=body max_match=0 "(PAN-OS ver|Panorama ver):(?<Software_Version>[^\s]+)"

If you want both in a separate field use:

| rex field=body "PAN-OS ver:(?<PAN_OS_Version>[^\s]+).+?Panorama ver:(?<Panorama_Version>[^\s]+)"

I hope this helps!

If this was helpful please consider awarding Karma. Thx!

View solution in original post

FelixLeh
Contributor

If you want both in the same field use:

| rex field=body max_match=0 "(PAN-OS ver|Panorama ver):(?<Software_Version>[^\s]+)"

If you want both in a separate field use:

| rex field=body "PAN-OS ver:(?<PAN_OS_Version>[^\s]+).+?Panorama ver:(?<Panorama_Version>[^\s]+)"

I hope this helps!

If this was helpful please consider awarding Karma. Thx!

POR160893
Builder

Worked perfectly. Thank you and I obviously gave you Karma 😀

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

regex101.com is your friend. https://regex101.com/r/MgVexD/1

| rex field=body "PAN-OS ver:\s*(?<PAN_OS_VER>[^ ]+)\s+Panorama ver:(?<Software_Version>[^ ]+)"

r. Ismo 

POR160893
Builder

No fields got extracted with this Regex. Also, the 2 extracted version needed to be stored in a single field .... so using 2 fields, <PAN_OS_VER> and <Software_Version> doe not concatenate both fields into 1 field.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

FelixLeh
Contributor

Are you sure the field you want to extract from is called body? If you want to extract from the event itself and not a specific field use:
| rex field=_raw

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If your example data is valid then this regex extracts those as you can verify with this regex101.com link. If this didn't work with splunk then please give us a correct event data.

You can combine those to one field e.g. 

| eval Software_Version = "PAN-VERSION: " . PAN_OS_VER . "  " . Software_Version
| fields - PAN_OS_VER

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...