Installation

Starting Splunk Enterprise using "systemctl start splunk " with --accept-license=yes

vksplunk1
Explorer

Hi - Recently we have upgraded splunk to version 9.1.3 . Noticed that I can not not start the splunk using :

"./splunk start --accept-licnese = yes" , forcing my to use "systemctl start Splunkd" to start splunk

Could you please let me know how to pass --accept-license=yes with "systemctl start Splunkd"

Labels (5)
0 Karma

marnall
Builder

Note that you only have to accept the license once (per newly installed version), not every time you run Splunkd using systemctl.

You can thus run the "./splunk start --accept-license=yes"  command once, then afterwards use "systemctl start Splunkd"

0 Karma

vksplunk1
Explorer

Thank you for the suggestion.  But I have mentioned, The current Splunk has been setup such that it's not letting me to use ./splunk start to accept license.

The only way I can start the splunk using systemctl start Splunkd

0 Karma

marnall
Builder

I am curious how you set up the systemd service with Splunk without running ./splunk as the splunk user. What happens when you try to become the splunk user and run the splunk binary?

If it absolutely does not work, it might be possible to pass the commands in by modifying the Splunkd.service file: (usually at /etc/systemd/system/Splunkd.service)

It will have a line of:

ExecStart=/opt/splunk/bin/splunk _internal_launch_under_systemd

which could have the arguments added:

ExecStart=/opt/splunk/bin/splunk _internal_launch_under_systemd --accept-license --answer-yes

As I don't know how to set my test machine to unaccept the license, I am not able to test this at the moment.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...