Getting Data In

Using INDEX_EVAL Lookup to Route Data to New Index and Sourcetype

nateloepker
Explorer

Hello,

I'm looking to change our indexing architecture

We have dozens of AWS accounts. We use the Splunk AWS app to ingest the data from a SQS queue. Currently, we have a single SQS-based input type for each individual AWS account that grabs all the data and applies the index and a catch-all sourcetype named aws:logbucket.

From there, we route the data to a more specific sourcetype based on the type of data. aws:logbucket will be changed to aws:cloudwatch:vpcflowlogs, aws:cloudtrail, aws:config, etc.

This has worked well enough for us, but I now have a new requirement.

For each of these AWS accounts, I want a separate index for the specific AWS service by AWS account. ie) awsaccount1-vpcflow, awsaccount1-cloudtrail, awsaccount2-vpcflow, etc. We use S2, so storing aws:cloudtrail with aws:cloudwatch:vpcflow hurts the performance of aws:cloudtrail data. Searching for aws:cloudtrail data requires us to write back all aws:cloudwatch:vpcflow data back to disk. This has accounted for 120x more buckets required written to disk for aws:cloudtrail since it's stored with VPCFlow. Expanding these indexes to be more specific will have huge performance improvements for my Splunk environment

I would like to use a lookup table to match the source of the SQS-based S3 to specify the index and sourcetype. I am unable to do this using regex and FORMAT, since the bucket names and index names are not a 1-1 match. ie) for s3://acc1/cloudtrail/..., I would like to have a lookup table that tells it to route to index account1 and sourcetype aws:cloudtrail, for s3://acc2/config/... I would like to have it route to index account2 and sourcetype aws:config.

After that long summary... how do I technically implement this and how will a lookup with ~300-400 different rows affect performance?

Thank you,

Nate

Labels (3)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...