Getting Data In

How do I blacklist multiple events on same line: Can I use '-'?

benbabich
Explorer

I want to blacklist 4698, 4699, 4700, 4701,4702 if they contain 'Microsoft\Windows' in the Task Name.

Would either of these work?
blacklist1 = EventCode="4698,4699,4700,4701,4702" Message="(?:Task Name:).+(?:Microsoft\Windows?)"
or
blacklist1 = EventCode="4698-4702" Message="(?:Task Name:).+(?:Microsoft\Windows?)"

Or would I have to have a separate line for each, such as :
blacklist1 = EventCode="4698" Message="(?:Task Name:).+(?:Microsoft\Windows?)"
blacklist2 = EventCode="4699" Message="(?:Task Name:).+(?:Microsoft\Windows?)"
etc

0 Karma

chanthongphiob
Path Finder

Since Message="(?:Task Name:).+(?:Microsoft\Windows?)" is in regex form, the "EventCode=" must use regex as well.

You will have to break up "EventCode=" into two separate blacklist. For example:

blacklist = EventCode="^469([8-9])$" Message=blah
blacklist1 = EventCode="^470([0-2])$" Message=blah

This Splunk Doc provides an example of whitelisting, but both are similar.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SplunkCloud/6.6.3/Data/MonitorWindowseventlogdata

0 Karma

aivarson_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You can either filter by eventcode or regex. According to Splunk Docs...You can specify one of two formats:

One or more Event Log event codes or event IDs (Event Log code/ID format.)
One or more sets of keys and regular expressions. (Advanced filtering format.)
You cannot mix formats in a single entry. You also cannot mix formats in the same stanza.

Examples -
event code blacklist
blacklist1 = 1100,1101,4624,4634,4647-4649

regex blacklist
blacklist1 = EventCode=%^200$% User=%drodman%

You can specify up to 10 blacklist per input stanza. If you need more than this you might want to consider a whitelist strategy instead. You just whitelist the codes you need instead of blacklisting the ones you don't.

More details here: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/admin/inputsconf#Event_Log_whitelist_and_blacklis...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...