Getting Data In

Has anyone tried monitoring and searching interactive Windows Active Directory logon events?

jhillenburg
Path Finder

Hi. Splunk makes it pretty easy to identify logon/logoff events. However, what I'm really interested in right now are interactive events -- ie. someone who is logging directly into a system using the console or RDP, rather than logon events that are initiated by a service starting or someone unlocking their system. Has anyone tried this before?

Thanks.

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi jhillenburg,
You could use the Logon_Type field:

• 2,Interactive Access 3,Network Access
  • 4,Script Access 5,Servirce Access
  • 7,Interactive Accessfrom Blocked Console
  • 10,Terminal Services Access
  • 11,Interactive Access with cached credentials

Beware to duplicated Login Events: each access generates many login events, so you have to filter them using dedup or transaction commands.

Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

hochit
Path Finder

I'm looking for a solution of this as well. Seems app for windows infra doesn't provide this.
Seems we can archive it by PowerShell.
I haven't started yet, just begin with thought exchange. What do you think?

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Get-LoggedOnUser-Gathers-7cbe93ea

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...

Adoption of Infrastructure Monitoring at Splunk

Splunk's Growth Engineering team showcases one of their first Splunk product adoption-Splunk Infrastructure ...

Modern way of developing distributed application using OTel

Recently, I had the opportunity to work on a complex microservice using Spring boot and Quarkus to develop a ...