Getting Data In

Debugging python from the command line that needs a session key

jwhughes58
Contributor

Hi All,

I'm trying to debug netskope_email_notification.py from the TA-NetSkopeAppForSplunk by running this command.

splunk cmd python -m pdb netskope_email_notification.py

It runs until it hits this line

session_key = sys.stdin.readline().strip()

How do I get past this?  Maybe something like this, but with a session key.

splunk cmd python -m pdb netskope_email_notification.py < session_key

If so, how do you create an external session key?

TIA,

Joe

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

jwhughes58
Contributor

Thanks.  I hadn't thought of that.  Since I posted the question, NetSkope came back with a solution.  I was sent this

conf_file_stanzas = conf_file_object.get_all()

replace the above line with following:

conf_file_stanzas = conf_file_object.get_all(only_current_app=True)

With that the issue was resolved.  The code was trying to get information from another TA.

0 Karma

marnall
Builder

Assuming you are on a linux machine, you could try piping the session_key value to that first command.

echo "sessionkeyhere" | splunk cmd python -m pdb netskope_email_notification.py

(Note that if you enter the key in explicitly, it may be saved in your command history which may be undesired. You can also read the key from a source using the "cat" command)

I couldn't tell you about the session_key... perhaps the Netskope docs could tell you where to get one. It could be a session with an email provider if this python script is intended to send email.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...