All Apps and Add-ons

How to fix failure in app-inspect | check_for_supported_tls?

mbachhav
Path Finder

Splunk app inspect reports the "check_for_supported_tls" failure with the description as  - 

If you are using requests.post to talk to your own infra with non-public PKI, make sure you bundle your own CA certs as part of your app and pass the path into requests.post as an arg.

I am using verify: false in the request.post() method and getting the above error in the app inspect tool.

Labels (2)

shadowfax
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I was having the same issue. I was able to fix it by using certifi package to get the location of certificates in the environment and assigning the path to verify.

import certifi

cert_path = certifi.where()
requests.get(url, headers, verify=cert_path)

Ali_Rewterz
Explorer

I have the same issue. So, you are saying that from the certifi library, I can extract the path to the SSL certificate bundle and pass it to the post request as an argument, right?

Now, I want to clarify something, the add-on application I have developed needs to be distributed to the clients so, according to this link: https://community.splunk.com/t5/Splunk-Cloud-Platform/How-do-I-go-about-publishing-a-Splunk-Technica... does the client need to put their bundled certificate themselves into the app directory? And use your code to retrieve the path of the cert and pass it as an argument to the post request? 

0 Karma

rmccullagh
Explorer

I'm getting the same issue with my app as well.

I'm just trying to call the Splunk API using requests.get and requests.post, with verify=false.

As the Splunk REST API port 8089 isn't by default ssl-secured, it shouldn't fall to the app developers to make sweeping changes to Splunk's architecture just to call the API.

JorgeSilentPush
Engager

I fixed this issue by generating a bundle certificates file and attaching to my requests, follow these steps:

1. on Chrome, click on the padlock icon -> connection is secure -> certificate is valid
  2. it should show you the certificate, then you have to click on the details tab -> exportJorgeSilentPush_1-1673624724731.png
  3. The most important part is selecting the "Certificate Chain" option when saving, so it will add all the intermediate CA certificates, not only your certificateJorgeSilentPush_0-1673624550315.png
  4. after saved the file, copy it to your repository and point it in the requests like this python snippet:
requests.get(
"myapi.com/whatever/"
verify="/your_repo/mydomain.com.cer"
)

BernardEAI
Communicator

This worked for me, thanks a lot!

Note: the extension of my certificate file was .crt by default. Also, once the certificate expires, you'll have to update this piece of code.

JorgeSilentPush
Engager

I'm having the same issue, I guess we will need to copy our server certificates (the one used by nginx or whatever webserver we use) and include within the app and then passing as a parameter in the request?

0 Karma

stephanshun1

Also getting the same issue with self-install on my Splunk Cloud platform as well. Looking for a solution too

Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...