Alerting

Have a problem with time filter (inside dbxquery and in search of Splunk)- Why am I not getting an alert during time?

Julia1231
Communicator

Hi,

I get data from DB using dbxquery. I set the time filter by: 

WHERE time BETWEEN DATE_TRUNC('hour',NOW()) - INTERVAL '4 HOURS' AND DATE_TRUNC('hour',NOW()) - INTERVAL '2 HOURS'

I use DATE_TRUNC in order to get data from exact hour (7:00-9:00, insteads of 7:10-9:10 or example)

After that, using Splunk, I make a span = 2h

In the alert, I want to send it every 2 hours.

There is a problem from 4:00 - 6:00 but at 9:30, I don't receive any alert (because there is nothing return from the search)

However, now, at 10:10, when I run the search, it sort the result that I want.

_time id count
2022-10-14 04:00 123 0
2022-10-14 06:00 123 0

Effectively, there is no data for id "123" in the filter period in SQL query. 

Do you have any idea how can I do it more generally, not filter time like what I am doing now in the SQL, to avoid this problem? Or a way to filter time by Splunk, not by SQL

Here is my search:

|dbxquery connection="database" query="
SELECT id as id, time as time, count(*) as count
FROM table
WHERE time BETWEEN DATE_TRUNC('hour',NOW()) - INTERVAL '4 HOURS' AND DATE_TRUNC('hour',NOW()) - INTERVAL '2 HOURS'
GROUP BY id, time"
|lookup lookup.csv id OUTPUT id 
|eval list_id = "123,466,233,111"
|eval split_list_id= split(list_id ,",")
|mvexpand split_list_id
|where id=split_list_id
|eval _time=strptime(time,"%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%N")
|timechart span=2h count by id
| untable _time id count
| makecontinuous
| where count = 0
|stats max(_time) as date_time by id
|eval date_time=strftime(date_time,"%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S")
Labels (3)
Tags (3)
0 Karma

Julia1231
Communicator

What I found. Because there is no data for the id "123" in the period of DATE_TRUNC('hour',NOW()) - INTERVAL '4 HOURS' AND DATE_TRUNC('hour',NOW()) - INTERVAL '2 HOURS', so the following script doesn't work for it.
I update my question

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...