Alerting

Alert not connecting to mail server

tympaniplayer
Path Finder

I am trying to get splunk to connect to a unauthenticated mail server. However it is not sending the messages correctly.

python.log says:
2011-11-03 10:39:21,250 ERROR (550, 'Command RCPT failed') while sending mail to: myemailaddress

Update:

However many email addresses I send it to, the server also gets that many extra blank RCPT TO commands, thus messing it up. Is this splunk error? or server side error?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

tympaniplayer
Path Finder

I just used a different mail server to send the splunk alerts. This seems to work! Ill just use this instead.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

tympaniplayer
Path Finder

I just used a different mail server to send the splunk alerts. This seems to work! Ill just use this instead.

0 Karma

ziegfried
Influencer

SMTP Error 550 means "Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable". Seems like your mailserver doesn't accept the specified recipient.

0 Karma

tympaniplayer
Path Finder

no leading whitespace, no trailing whitepace, there is a comma but only to separate email addresses. Work the same with one address or two. very strange....

0 Karma

ziegfried
Influencer

How does the recipient in your alert look like? Are you sure there is not leading/tailing whitespace or comma?

0 Karma

tympaniplayer
Path Finder

my mail server logs say (IPs omitted):

11:03 11:01 SMTPD( MAIL FROM:splunk@ size=1000

11:03 11:01 SMTPD >>> 250 ok

11:03 11:01 SMTPD <<< rcpt TO:

11:03 11:01 SMTPD RCPT TO:

11:03 11:01 SMTPD [x] looking up gmail.com in HOSTS

11:03 11:01 SMTPD >>> 250 ok its for

Then it says

11:03 11:01 SMTPD<<< rcpt TO:<>

11:03 11:01 SMTPD RCPT TO:<>

11:03 11:01 SMTPD >>> 550 Command RCPT failed

11:03 11:01 SMTPD Unknown Command: RCPT

0 Karma

ziegfried
Influencer

What kind of mailserver do you use? Have you looked into the logs of it?

0 Karma

tympaniplayer
Path Finder

I have tried multiple recipients, including ones that use that mail server. Other programs, like sendmail will send to the same recipents that are used. Any thoughts?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Database Performance Sidebar Panel Now on APM Database Query Performance & Service ...

We’ve streamlined the troubleshooting experience for database-related service issues by adding a database ...

IM Landing Page Filter - Now Available

We’ve added the capability for you to filter across the summary details on the main Infrastructure Monitoring ...

Dynamic Links from Alerts to IM Navigators - New in Observability Cloud

Splunk continues to improve the troubleshooting experience in Observability Cloud with this latest enhancement ...