Splunk Search

where does splunk store output of shell scripts?

batemanj

Hi,

On Splunk forwarders, we have few shell scripts in "SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/my_app/bin/" that are being run. Just wondering where do the outputs of these shell scripts store? Shell scripts don't have the output filename in them so I tried to look into "SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/splunk" but no luck. Are these outputs store in "*.dat" file which we can't read?

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

If you are running scripted inputs, then Splunk will index the output that it sees hitting stdout. This means that you can pipe the output of your scripts to other things and Splunk will only index the final text that hits stdout. Any other output that goes anywhere else will be ignored by Splunk, unless of course you are writing it to file and have a different [monitor://...] stanza looking for it, which would be strange.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

If you are running scripted inputs, then Splunk will index the output that it sees hitting stdout. This means that you can pipe the output of your scripts to other things and Splunk will only index the final text that hits stdout. Any other output that goes anywhere else will be ignored by Splunk, unless of course you are writing it to file and have a different [monitor://...] stanza looking for it, which would be strange.

0 Karma

burwell
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

So you are doing scripted input? Splunk runs the script on the interval you specify and then indexes the output. I don't think there's an intermediate location.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...