Splunk Search

tstat hourly time span without snapping to hour, relative to start of absolute time range instead

akarollil
Explorer

Hello,

I am trying to collect stats per hour using a data model for a absolute time range that starts 30 minutes past the hour. The query looks something like:

|tstats count, sum(X), sum(Y) FROM datamodel=ZModel BY _time span=1h

I choose a time range using the Date & Time Range picker, but the range starts at 30 minutes past the hour. So say something like Jan 1 16:30 to Jan 2 16:30. The problem I have is that the time 'buckets' in the result snap to the hour, and so the hourly ranges are like 16:00 - 17:00, 17:00 - 18:00 and so forth rather than 16:30 - 17:30, 17:30 - 18:30 and so forth.

Is there anyway to make the time buckets start off relative to the start time specified rather than snap to the hour? I tried using earliest= latest= instead of using the Date & Time Range picker, but that didn't help either.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @akarollil,

tstats command cannot do it but you can achieve by using timechart command.

Please try below;

| tstats count, sum(X) as X , sum(Y) as Y FROM datamodel=ZModel BY _time span=30m 
| timechart span=1h aligntime=@h+30m sum(count) sum(X) sum(Y)
If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.

View solution in original post

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You're welcome @akarollil

Please accept the answer for community.

0 Karma

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @akarollil,

tstats command cannot do it but you can achieve by using timechart command.

Please try below;

| tstats count, sum(X) as X , sum(Y) as Y FROM datamodel=ZModel BY _time span=30m 
| timechart span=1h aligntime=@h+30m sum(count) sum(X) sum(Y)

akarollil
Explorer

Thanks a lot @scelikok ! That worked. I think I had seen aligntime but couldn't figure out how to use it with tstats or timechart

0 Karma

akarollil
Explorer

Somebody? Anybody?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...