Splunk Search

transaction to retrive value then make eval

user93
Communicator

Dear community,

I have the following scenario:

User can make many actions, in this case we can have action equals search, result clicked, or load. Each action type has its own log format with many overlapping fields.

I want to count a click index rank, a field of the action = result clicked. However, I want to sort these by pages with this highest or lowest index rank. However, the page value for action= result clicked is the search results page, i.e. page="/search?query=example". The page I want is in the action=load, and will always be the next action of the user, i.e. action=load page=/usergude/exampletopic.html.

So, I'm using the search transaction here to group the journey by customer, but really I want an event that groups the next load action for a specific user following a result clicked, but so that I can make stats on the whole environment.

Any ideas?

Example scenario: Find pages with a low average resultIndex clicked.

user=name action=search query=example

user=name action=resultClicked page=/search?examplequeryfromuser

user=name action=load page=/userguide/exampletopic/theactualpageuserclicked.html

What is the average click rank ? [ for page /userguide/exampletopic/theactualpageuserclicked.html ]

Example base search:

index=server sourcetype=stats action!=pageChanged
| rex field=_raw "query=\"(?<query_quotes>.*)\",filters"| rex field=searchIndex "\[(?<filts>.+)\]"
| rex max_match=0 field=filts "\"(?<index_select>[\w :-]+)\""
| rex field=product_name "\[(?<prods>.+)\]"
|transaction email maxspan=1h maxpause=15m mvlist=true nullstr="-"
| eval usercode=mvdedup(instcode), time_spent_searching=round(duration/60, 4)
| search action=resultClicked query_quotes!="" query_quotes="*" query_quotes="*" publicationId="*" OR NOT publicationId="*"
|eval searchTransaction=lower(query_quotes)
| table custcode publicationId topic searchTransaction action, resultIndex, time_spent_searching,page
| rename time_spent_searching as "Minutes Spent Searching", prods as "Product Filter Selected"

Produce something like

customer codepublicationtopic / pagesearch stringactionresultIndexMinutes spent searchingpage
usernumber--how to loginsearch-10.79/search
 --how to loginresultClicked3 /search?how_to_login
 product_operation_guidelogin.htm--Load-/publications/productoperationsguide/2.0?topic=login.htm
 product_operation_guidereset.htm--Load
 /publications/productoperationsguide/2.0?topic=reset.htm

I want to see that the average click rank is 3 for page=/publications/productoperationsguide/2.0?topic=login.htm. Of course, there would be many users who click on the same page, after searching any number of search strings.

Business goal:

Provide pages with the lowest click rank where the query contains the key term login

Labels (2)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...