Splunk Search

strftime format for event breaks not working

noveix
Explorer

Event breaks based on strftime format for weblogic log events that are not being parsed correctly. e.g. It seems to be interpreting '1432711901' as a timestamp in the following logs.
Weird thing is this is happening intermittently, parsing some correctly but not all.

my props.conf entry on the indexer is
[app_wls]
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 30
NO_BINARY_CHECK=1
TIME_FORMAT=%b %d, %Y %I:%M:%S %p
TIME_PREFIX = ^

Raw logs for a single event is as follows :

Mar 25, 2014 4:22:01 PM au.com.mydomain.common.logging.LoggerTrace warn
WARNING: Unable to configure audit log meta data. Param not of type Request. Is a: au.com.mydomain.common.configdata
.GetConfigDataRequest
1432711901 [[ACTIVE] ExecuteThread: '9' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default (self-tuning)'] WARN org.springframewor
k.web.context.request.FacesRequestAttributes - Could not register destruction callback [org.springframework.beans.f
actory.support.DisposableBeanAdapter@1d9774a] for attribute 'basicDateTimeConverter' because FacesRequestAttributes
does not support such callbacks
1432711904 [[ACTIVE] ExecuteThread: '9' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default (self-tuning)'] WARN org.springframewor
k.web.context.request.FacesRequestAttributes - Could not register destruction callback [org.springframework.beans.f
actory.support.DisposableBeanAdapter@ff86e9] for attribute 'basicDateConverter' because FacesRequestAttributes does
not support such callbacks
1432712079 [[ACTIVE] ExecuteThread: '11' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default (self-tuning)'] WARN org.springframewo
rk.web.context.request.FacesRequestAttributes - Could not register destruction callback [org.springframework.beans.
factory.support.DisposableBeanAdapter@15d7a3d] for attribute 'transRefValidator' because FacesRequestAttributes does
not support such callbacks
1432712079 [[ACTIVE] ExecuteThread: '11' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default (self-tuning)'] WARN org.springframewo
rk.web.context.request.FacesRequestAttributes - Could not register destruction callback [org.springframework.beans.
factory.support.DisposableBeanAdapter@45316] for attribute 'transRefConverter' because FacesRequestAttributes does n
ot support such callbacks
1432712080 [[ACTIVE] ExecuteThread: '11' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default (self-tuning)'] WARN org.springframewo
factory.support.DisposableBeanAdapter@f6f2c2] for attribute 'decimalPlacesValidator' because FacesRequestAttributes
1432712081 [[ACTIVE] ExecuteThread: '11' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default (self-tuning)'] WARN org.springframewo
factory.support.DisposableBeanAdapter@bbac62] for attribute 'minMaxDecimalValidator' because FacesRequestAttributes
1432712086 [[ACTIVE] ExecuteThread: '11' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default (self-tuning)'] WARN org.springframewo
factory.support.DisposableBeanAdapter@c085f6] for attribute 'paymentInvestigationTypeConverter' because FacesRequest
Attributes does not support such callbacks
1432712086 [[ACTIVE] ExecuteThread: '11' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default (self-tuning)'] WARN org.springframewo
factory.support.DisposableBeanAdapter@16bcb2d] for attribute 'paymentInvestigationStatusConverter' because FacesRequ
estAttributes does not support such callbacks
1432712087 [[ACTIVE] ExecuteThread: '11' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default (self-tuning)'] WARN org.springframewo
factory.support.DisposableBeanAdapter@3d3019] for attribute 'simpleDateConverter' because FacesRequestAttributes doe
s not support such callbacksI

Tags (3)
0 Karma

noveix
Explorer

more info .. seems to be when there is a line break within the logs then the log entries are not grouped into a single event

so the following breaks, however if there was not line breaks then its recognised as a single event

Mar 25, 2014 4:22:01 PM au.com.mydomain.common.logging.LoggerTrace warn
WARNING: Unable to configure audit log meta data. Param not of type Request. Is a: au.com.mydomain.common.configdata
.GetConfigDataRequest

1432711901 [[ACTIVE] ExecuteThread: '9' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default (self-tuning)'] WARN org.springframewor
actory.support.DisposableBeanAdapter@1d9774a] for attribute 'basicDateTimeConverter' because FacesRequestAttributes

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Could it be that your event breaks work fine at 10,11 or 12 o'clock?

Then the problem might be in your TIME_FORMAT, and most of the times these things happen (improper event breaking) is when splunk fails to parse timestamps.

You define your TIME_FORMAT with %I for the hour portion (uppercase "i"), which means that values from 01 .. 12 are valid.

I believe that changing to %l (lowercase "L") instead might do the trick, since this means hours from 1 .. 12, i.e. without the leading zero.

see www.strftime.net

Hope this helps,

/K

PS. The reason that numbers like 1432712121 get parsed as timestamps, is that splunk, when failing to detect a proper timestamp according to your configuration may revert to default auto-detecting behaviour, and a numeric string of this size and value can be interpreted as an epoch timestamp (around May 27 2015).

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

OK, just to verfy - you know that BREAK_ONLY/MUST_NOT_BREAK etc only are valid with SHOULD_LINEMERGE = true.

And conversely - LINE_BREAKER is only honoured with SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false.

And you are sure that the sourcetype is correct, i.e. so that the settings are applied at all. And that they are in the correct place (indexer/heavy forwarder)

0 Karma

noveix
Explorer

Hi Kristian
Tried the LINE_BREAKER ... it took out the match group, in my case, the Timestamp, anyway I tried the BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE as well, still no good. I have verified my REGEX and its definitely correct, however its not parsing as expected.

Thanks for your help with this, I think I will look at the Weblogic log setting to see if I can eliminate the extra newlines within the logs, this is the main cause of my issues.
Appreciate your help !!

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Fixed a typo and some ambiguity regarding single/double digit dates.

/k

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Still think it is timestamp-related. It almost always is. However, you may need to increase the value for MAX_EVENTS (in props) to accommodate events with more than 256 lines. Also, you could try to force the linebreaking behaviour with MUST_NOT_BREAK.../BREAK_ONLY... (also in props).

Another option is to set SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false, and use something like the following LINE_BREAKER regex;

LINE_BREAKER = ([\r\n]+)(?=[A-Z][a-z]{2}\s+\d+,\s+20\d\d\s+\d+:\d\d:\d\d\s+[AP]M)

Which means that it should only break before a line that contains timestamps formatted as yours.

/k

noveix
Explorer

Hi Kristian

I tried
TIME_FORMAT=%b %d, %Y %l:%M:%S %p (lowercase 'L') and also

TIME_FORMAT=%b %d, %Y %r
still no luck ...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...