Splunk Search

stats count issue, mismatch with search query results

delalegro
Engager

Hello,

i'm using a query to find all traffic hitting a singe firewall rule.
it's something like this: host=fw_host_name rule_uid={uid} action=accept

i wanted to create a list of all sources, destinations and services(ports) with a count so i added | stats count by src dst service
The output i get is perfect for example the following row src:192.168.1.1 dst:8.8.8.8 service:22 count:71

but if i do the following search query over the same time: host=fw_host_name rule_uid={uid} action=accept src=192.168.1.1 dst=8.8.8.8 service=22 splunk returns 85 events.

so whats wrong with the stats count that it's not returning all events?

Thanks in advance for your help!

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

How many events you get, for same time range, for this query

host=fw_host_name rule_uid={uid} action=accept src=192.168.1.1 dst=8.8.8.8 service=22  | stats count by src dst service

AND

host=fw_host_name rule_uid={uid} action=accept src=* dst=* service=* | stats count by src dst service
0 Karma

renjith_nair
Legend

Its possible that you are getting live data and by the time you execute the second search , you have more events indexed.

Try your searches for a specific time period. for eg: datetime range

Happy Splunking!
0 Karma

delalegro
Engager

Thanks for your answer, sorry for being not clear. I used the same date time range for both queries.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...