Splunk Search

sort csv by current dates

Bentash
Explorer

I want to sort out a csv but it not working

tried
......| fields Date,count | stats by Date,count | eval Date=strptime(Date, "%d/%m/%Y") | sort Date | eval Date=strftime(Date, "%m/%Y") | chart as total over t1 by Date

I keep getting
01/2018
02/2018
03/2018

This is the result i am expecting
03/2018
02/2018
01/2018

Tags (3)
0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The sorting that you've before chart will be ineffective as chart would do it's own sorting of output which is always in ascending order, for both rows and columns. There can be different workaround that you can try, one is prefix a sequence number in date column so that when chart sorts it, it's in the order you need.

Other workaround works if the month values that you're searching on are relative to current time OR relative to time range of the search. Is that the case?

0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

To change the sort order, use | sort -Date to make it sort in descending order.

PS: you might want to put the sort before replacing the Date value with a string, as sorting strings may not always result in a correct sorting of dates. Or use fieldformat instead of eval, such that under the hood, it keeps the numerical timestamp value and only renders it as a string.

0 Karma

damien_chillet
Builder

Try sort - Date

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...