Splunk Search

sendemail to a field value - without script?

bcusick
Communicator

Hi, I am trying to send search results to an email address using the sendemail command.

If I "hardcode" the to field in my sendemail command, this works great. However the goal is to send the email to a field value from the search itself..so..

source=reallyBadUsers | Table User, Manager, ManagerEmailAddr | sendemail to=$ManagerEmailAddr$ sendresults=true priority=high subject="This guy is really bad" server=x.x.x.x

Obviously I've learned that $ManagerEmailAddr$ is not going to work.

How can I work around this? The "to" address will be dependent on the ManagerEmailAddr from the search.

Thanks,

Brian

0 Karma

splunkyfun12721
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Hi,

I ran into the same problem and here is how I get it to work by referencing the Result tokens part in Splunk's documentation.

<Base search> 
| table User, EmailAddress 
| sendemail to=$result.EmailAddress$ from="me@example.com" ...

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.1.2/Alert/EmailNotificationTokens

0 Karma

Nicolo_Figiani
Path Finder

Hi,
you should go for the "sendresults Command": https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/1794 (details here: app details)

This app basically configures a custom command that allows you to:

Dynamically evaluate who to send
results to, based upon the results of
the search itself

I used it in the past and it works charmingly..

Hope this helps,
regards

0 Karma

pallavibalasa
Explorer

Hi,
I had same issue. The above query did not send email also. Please let me know if you are able to get the solution.

Regards,
Pallavi

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try this

source=reallyBadUsers | Table User, Manager, ManagerEmailAddr | sendemail [source=reallyBadUsers | Table ManagerEmailAddr | mvcombine delim="," ManagerEmailAddr | nomv ManagerEmailAddr  | rename ManagerEmailAddr as to]  sendresults=true priority=high subject="This guy is really bad"

lim2
Communicator

Hi somesoni2,

From your above example, I got following query which is supposed send an email of the result, if result > 0 to predefined user email. The src_email needs to be dynamically set. But it is sending the email even though there is no result. Please advise how to update it to only sendemail when result > 0. Thanks

earliest=-60m@m index=network comment="Comment"
| dedup local_start_time src_name src_number src_email src_site src_location dest_name dst_number
| table local_start_time src_name src_number src_email src_site src_location dest_name dst_number
| eval from=src_email | sendemail
[ search earliest=-60m@m index=network comment="Comment"
| dedup local_start_time src_name src_number src_email src_site src_location dest_name dst_number
| table src_email
| rename src_email as from] to="mike@company.org" format=table subject="Comment" server=mail.company.org sendresults=true inline=true

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...