Splunk Search

rex Named extraction for acronyms that have 4 letters and are all capital letters

agoktas
Communicator

Hello,

I'm trying to create a named extraction and want to use regex to find all instance of 4 letter acronyms that are all capitol letters.

i.e.: ABCD, DEFG, HIJK, LMNO.

Needs to find only 4 consecution letters that are all CAPS.

Anyone able to provide an example for the syntax I need?

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

javiergn
Super Champion

The regex you need is just the following

[A-Z]{4}

In terms of the named extraction you are talking about it all depends where you want to do this.
If you are happy to do it in SPL simply use rex:

your query here
| rex field=YOUR_FIELD_WITH_ACRONMYS "(?<named_field>[A-Z]{4})"

Which will create a new field called "named_field".

If you are expecting more than 1 match in a single event then use max_match=0 in your rex command. It'll then create "named_field" as a multivalue field.

If you want to do this in props.conf and/or transforms.conf I would recommend you read the following doc as again, it all depends on your use case and I don't have enough information to give you a decent advice:

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Knowledge/Createandmaintainsearch-timefieldextrac...

EXAMPLES
This might be the simplest one of all in props.conf:

EXTRACT-acronyms = (?<named_field>[A-Z]{4})

If you wanted that multivalue you could use REPORT in props.conf and then elaborate the extraction in transforms.conf:

# props.conf
[your_sourcetype]
REPORT-acronyms = mv_acronyms

# transforms.conf
[mv_acronyms]
REGEX = (?<named_field>[A-Z]{4})
MV_ADD = true

Hope that helps as a start,
J

View solution in original post

0 Karma

javiergn
Super Champion

The regex you need is just the following

[A-Z]{4}

In terms of the named extraction you are talking about it all depends where you want to do this.
If you are happy to do it in SPL simply use rex:

your query here
| rex field=YOUR_FIELD_WITH_ACRONMYS "(?<named_field>[A-Z]{4})"

Which will create a new field called "named_field".

If you are expecting more than 1 match in a single event then use max_match=0 in your rex command. It'll then create "named_field" as a multivalue field.

If you want to do this in props.conf and/or transforms.conf I would recommend you read the following doc as again, it all depends on your use case and I don't have enough information to give you a decent advice:

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Knowledge/Createandmaintainsearch-timefieldextrac...

EXAMPLES
This might be the simplest one of all in props.conf:

EXTRACT-acronyms = (?<named_field>[A-Z]{4})

If you wanted that multivalue you could use REPORT in props.conf and then elaborate the extraction in transforms.conf:

# props.conf
[your_sourcetype]
REPORT-acronyms = mv_acronyms

# transforms.conf
[mv_acronyms]
REGEX = (?<named_field>[A-Z]{4})
MV_ADD = true

Hope that helps as a start,
J

0 Karma

javiergn
Super Champion

@agoktas please do not forget to accept an answer if you are happy with it

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...