Splunk Search

rex - Extracting a string

jrowland1230
Explorer

I want to exact a string 'GUID" from the log right after "customers". This regex expression works in https://regex101.com/ but not in Splunk.  My field name is log:

2023-06-19 15:28:01.726 ERROR [communication-service,6e72370er2368b08,6e723709fd368b08] [,,,] 1 --- [container-0-C-1] c.w.r.acc.commservice.sink.ReminderSink : Reminder Message processed, no linked customers aaf60d69-99a9-41f5-a081-032224284066

| rex field=log "(?<cids>).*customers\s(.*)"

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

P_vandereerden
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Did you want cids to contain that GUID?

Try

| rex field=log ".*customers\s(?<cids>.*)"

Alternatively, if the GUID is always at the end, following a space, you can even drop the "customers" part:

| rex field=log "(?<cids>\S+$)"

Your example appears to be creating a capture group named "cids" that captures nothing (the first set of parentheses), and then a second non-capturing group that matches what you want (the second set of parentheses).
This document might help explain in more detail:
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SCS/current/Search/AboutSplunkregularexpressions#Capture_group... 

Paul van der Eerden,
Breaking software for over 20 years.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

P_vandereerden
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Did you want cids to contain that GUID?

Try

| rex field=log ".*customers\s(?<cids>.*)"

Alternatively, if the GUID is always at the end, following a space, you can even drop the "customers" part:

| rex field=log "(?<cids>\S+$)"

Your example appears to be creating a capture group named "cids" that captures nothing (the first set of parentheses), and then a second non-capturing group that matches what you want (the second set of parentheses).
This document might help explain in more detail:
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SCS/current/Search/AboutSplunkregularexpressions#Capture_group... 

Paul van der Eerden,
0 Karma

jrowland1230
Explorer

So to clarify the <cids> is the placeholder for the values produced from the regex AND also the placement is where the actual value would be contained in the string, i.e. Log field?

0 Karma

P_vandereerden
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes. You can name multiple capture groups in one rex statement. 

e.g.

| rex field=my_field "foo:\s+\"(?<first_capture>[^\"]+)\",\s+bar:\s+(?<second_capture>[^\"]+)"
Paul van der Eerden,
0 Karma

jrowland1230
Explorer

Thank you. I was close ugh.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Meet Duke Cyberwalker | A hero’s journey with Splunk

We like to say, the lightsaber is to Luke as Splunk is to Duke. Curious yet? Then read Eric Fusilero’s latest ...

The Future of Splunk Search is Here - See What’s New!

We’re excited to introduce two powerful new search features, now generally available for Splunk Cloud Platform ...

Splunk is Nurturing Tomorrow’s Cybersecurity Leaders Today

Meet Carol Wright. She leads the Splunk Academic Alliance program at Splunk. The Splunk Academic Alliance ...