Splunk Search

resolve IP to name

gburtz

I want to be able to see the host name in search results rather than IP. In this case, the "host" I am looking for is the name of the firewall, router, or switch sending the log message. The host names have been added to our DNS servers and nslookup returns the correct info. Any ideas on how to do this??

Thanks..

Labels (1)
0 Karma

radam2000
Path Finder

In my fw queries, I use two lookups in my queries, one to a lookup file that I created and manage called server_ip_lookup... and then a second one that does a dns lookup on source and destination

index="internetfirewalls" AND sourcetype="cisco:asa"

|lookup server_ip_lookup IPAddress as src_ip
output DeviceName as "Src_Device"
|lookup server_ip_lookup IPAddress as dest_ip
output DeviceName as "Dest_Device"

|stats count by dest_ip, Dest_Device, dest_port, src_ip, Src_Device, action, rule_id, transport
|sort -count

|lookup dnslookup clientip as src_ip OUTPUT clienthost as Src_Resolved
|lookup dnslookup clientip as dest_ip OUTPUT clienthost as Dest_Resolved
| eval Src_Device = if(Src_Device="-", Src_Resolved, Src_Device)
| eval Dest_Device = if(Dest_Device="-", Dest_Resolved, Dest_Device)
|table count, transport, src_ip, Src_Device, dest_ip, Dest_Device, dest_port, action, rule_id

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...