Splunk Search

regex/intelligent design question

asarolkar
Builder

I have a log entry that looks like this

2009-10-02 16:52:30 To USA-XXX F 2 &STR

where XXX is the account number - I have, as you may have guessed over 800 such account numbers (1 through 800 to be specific) trapped inside these logs that I need to do a timechart and group by on.

I want to be able to extract the account number XXX from this search somehow.

I have figured out the first step (unless regex is the way to go)

i) filter all the matches using sourcetype="usalog" | search *To*STR

ii) tag on another search that somehow filters the XXX

Any suggestions ? Perhaps field extractions ?

0 Karma
1 Solution

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Try something like :

sourcetype=usalog | rex field=_raw "To USA-(?<ac_number>\d{1,3})" | timechart count by ac_number

You can perform the Search time extraction on the account number inline using the rex command, as shown above , or save it(via Splunk Web or manual edit) in props.conf using the EXTRACT keyword in a sourcetype stanza :

[usalog] 
EXTRACT-extract_ac_num = To USA-(?<ac_number>\d{1,3})

View solution in original post

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Try something like :

sourcetype=usalog | rex field=_raw "To USA-(?<ac_number>\d{1,3})" | timechart count by ac_number

You can perform the Search time extraction on the account number inline using the rex command, as shown above , or save it(via Splunk Web or manual edit) in props.conf using the EXTRACT keyword in a sourcetype stanza :

[usalog] 
EXTRACT-extract_ac_num = To USA-(?<ac_number>\d{1,3})

asarolkar
Builder

Thank you !

That worked like a charm !

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...