Splunk Search

"Exception - com.splunk.mr.JobStartException: Failed to start MapReduce job."

dannili
Communicator

I just moved my whole dashboard to production environment but when I tried to test using a search string, following exception and error occur:

2 errors occurred while the search was executing. Therefore, search results might be incomplete. Hide errors.   
•[hdfsprovider] Error while running external process, return_code=255. See search.log for more info 
•[hdfsprovider] Exception - com.splunk.mr.JobStartException: Failed to start MapReduce job. Please consult search.log for more information. Message: Failed to create Hunk directories due to permission denied. Please make sure you have write permission to the directory specified by vix.splunk.home.hdfs in your provider 

**********Search

index="my_index" | stats count(eval( OverallAvgNetworkMOS < 3.5 OR Stream_1_JitterInterArrival > 30 OR Stream_2_JitterInterArrival > 30 OR Stream_1_RoundTrip > 500 OR Stream_2_RoundTrip > 500 OR Stream_1_PacketLossRate>0.1 OR Stream_2_PacketLossRate>0.1)) AS bad_call count(eval(OverallAvgNetworkMOS >= 3.5)) AS good_call | transpose

I checked other posts related to error but could not find a suitable solution. Is this knida search related to config?

Does anyone know how these two can happen? How do I fix this? Thanks a lot!

0 Karma
1 Solution

mwdbhyat
Builder

Are you using Hunk ? To me it looks like its a permissions issue with virtual index - check this out https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Hunk/6.4.10/Hunk/Setupavirtualindex

Have you checked search.log ?

Does it only do it when you run that specific search, or any search ?

Are your DEV and PROD environments using the same architecture/setup ?

View solution in original post

0 Karma

mwdbhyat
Builder

Are you using Hunk ? To me it looks like its a permissions issue with virtual index - check this out https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Hunk/6.4.10/Hunk/Setupavirtualindex

Have you checked search.log ?

Does it only do it when you run that specific search, or any search ?

Are your DEV and PROD environments using the same architecture/setup ?

0 Karma

dannili
Communicator

thanks for ur response. Turns out it's the setup issue. System team helped fix it.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...