Splunk Search

query using join

cevyn
Explorer

Trying to combine two logs .
Using this query to get a list of items from user log

source="/opt/mysplunk.log" earliest=-14days "logid=store-stuff" | eval storecode = substr(site,1,4) | top 3 storecode | FIELDS - count percent

that gives me a short list of
storecode

1 1234

2 6789

And the | FIELDS – count percent removes those extra fields so I just get my entries of 1234 6789
This also proves my substring is right because I’m catching the string I expect.
Now I try to feed that into a network log to catch possible related causes that show up there

source="/usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.log" earliest=-14days | join [ search source="/opt/mysplunk.log" earliest=-14days "logid=store-stuff" | eval storecode = substr(site,1,4) | top 3 storecode | FIELDS - count percent]

but the result seems to match 50k records that don’t have my identifiers of 1234 or 6789 in them .

What am I doing wrong or what debugging method in splunk do I use to figure out what it is really matching on? What is it actually piping through?
This is my first venture into join commands in splunk queries

Tags (2)
0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Based on your comment, here's how you generically search in source A based on the top three values of somefield from source B:

source=A [search source=B | top 3 somefield | return 3 somefield]

Under the hood Splunk will first run the subsearch, translate the results to ((somefield="value1") OR (somefield="value2") OR (somefield="value3")), and then run the main search with that filter added.

If source A does not have a field called somefield you can search its raw text by adding a dollar sign in the return command like so: ... | return 3 $somefield. If the field is called something else in source A you can rename it on the fly like so: ... | return 3 otherfield=somfield.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Like I said in the answer, put a dollar sign in front of the field in the return command like this:

... | return 3 $otherfield

That will yield (("value1") OR ("value2") OR ("value3")) as a filter for the main search.

0 Karma

cevyn
Explorer

You have been very generous. My query is close but I get no results. If I look at the job inspect function and look at subsearch it shows storecode="1234" when I think want it to just be "1234" (storecode being a variable I made up for the EVAL). Sorry I'm spending a lot of time getting used to the syntax . How do I drop the storecode= out .

I tried things like value(storecode) but have obviously not found the right thing. I feel like I'm trying to discuss philosophy in french and only have the vocabulary to say hello! thanks again.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Remove the pipe before the opening square bracket.

0 Karma

cevyn
Explorer

so I changed it to source="/usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.log" earliest=-14days | [ search source="/opt/mysplunk.log" earliest=-14days "logid=store-stuff" | eval storecode = substr(site,1,4) | top 3 storecode | return 3 storecode ]

I get "Subsearches are only valid as arguments to commands." Perhaps i misunderstood your suggestion?

0 Karma

cevyn
Explorer

So clearly your questions have revealed my limited splunk query experience. The response that asked about literal search best understood my failings. yes I want to go to nagios with the results of 1234 or 6789 in my example. STORECODE was a literal I made up to capture the result of my substr. Thanks for your persistence with my initial note.

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

does your source nagios.log have a field called storecode or your just want to do literal search for your storecode in the nagios.log events?

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are you sure you're trying to perform a join? Usually you have one (or more) join columns/fields and one (or more) other columns/fields that get added in the join... but your subsearch only yields one column.

Maybe you're trying to filter the nagios source by results from the mysplunk source?

0 Karma

dart
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You can see what is being returned if you use the search job inspector - it will have an entry like subsearch returned that should fill you in on what came through

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...