Splunk Search

props.conf fixed value using EXTRACT

jmsiegma
Path Finder

I would like to take the following lines in my props.conf file, and at Search Time, use these Field Extractions to Set a fixed value for a new field depending on the rule that it hits:

[safenet_datasecure]
EXTRACT-datasecure0 = Web login failure\: Invalid username\/password in login attempt for administrator \"(?<ing_user>[a-zA-Z0-9]+)\" from (?<ing_clientip>[0-9]+.[0-9]+.[0-9]+.[0-9]+)
EXTRACT-datasecure1 = Login attempted with invalid username \"(?<ing_user>[a-zA-Z0-9]+)\"

So I get a field like ing_rule=0 or ing__rule=1 depending on if it used datasecure0 or datasecure1 to extract the field from the event.

Anyone?

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

In this specific case, ing_rule would be 0 if there is an ing_clientip field - you can use that in an eval or calculated field.

As a more general approach, you could extract different ing_user1, ing_user2, ... fields and assign ing_rule depending on which field is filled and after that merge them into one ing_user field.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...