Splunk Search

problem with join

Mahmoud
Engager

this is the query, so i'm still a baby in this world (so I'm sorry if there is a dummy mistakes that might drive you crazy when you read this query). However, I'm trying to Join the Source Process Id (from event code 10) with the Process Id ( from event code 1) and then print the command line, I tried to use `type=inner` but it gave me nothing which is wired, because when I look for the first query there is result and the same for the inner query.  

index="main" sourcetype="WinEventLog:Sysmon" EventCode=10 lsass SourceImage="C:\\Windows\\system32\\rundll32.exe"
| join left=L right=R type=left where L.SourceProcessId=R.ProcessId
[search EventCode=1 lsass "C:\\Windows\\system32\\rundll32.exe"]
| table L.TargetImage, R.ProcessId, R.commandLine

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Mahmoud,

Don't use join: Splunk isn't a relational Database, it's a search engine, use stats BY the common key, something like this:

index="main" sourcetype="WinEventLog:Sysmon" lsass SourceImage="C:\\Windows\\system32\\rundll32.exe" EventCode IN (10,1)
| eval ProcessId=coalesce(SourceProcessId,ProcessId)
| stats 
   values(TargetImage) AS TargetImage
   values(commandLine) AS commandLine
   BY ProcessId

if you want to add an additional condition, e.g. only the ProcessId present in both the EventCodes, you can ann an additional final constrain.

index="main" sourcetype="WinEventLog:Sysmon" lsass SourceImage="C:\\Windows\\system32\\rundll32.exe" EventCode IN (10,1)
| stats 
   dc(EventCode) AS EventCode_count
   BY ProcessId
| where EventCode_count=2
| fields - EventCode_count

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Mahmoud,

Don't use join: Splunk isn't a relational Database, it's a search engine, use stats BY the common key, something like this:

| stats 
   BY ProcessId

if you want to add an additional condition, e.g. only the ProcessId present in both the EventCodes, you can ann an additional final constrain.

| stats 
   dc(EventCode) AS EventCode_count
   BY ProcessId
| where EventCode_count=2
| fields - EventCode_count

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...