Splunk Search

limits.conf, non-global settings local to specific App

actionabledata
Path Finder

All, Hopefully a straightforward question.

Is it possible to increase the following setting in a .../appname/local/limits.conf such that the scope remains local and pertinent only to that appname and NOT global thus impacting other Apps and their searches?

TO:   max_mem_usage_mb = 2000

We have an algorithm that must process a very large data ball before aggregating and reducing the data and we keep hitting this limit. We partition the data to get around the limit but I am hoping that this partitioning process can be eliminated.

Thank you

Labels (3)
0 Karma

Gene
Path Finder

Hello, it depends on where you want to put limits.conf file (e.g. app UniversalForwarder has this setting in opt/splunk/etc/apps/.../local, it's not the best practice and this could be disastrous and very poor form. You can try it on some test environment and provide your investigation results 🙂

Thanks, Gene

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Combine Multiline Logs into a Single Event with SOCK - a Guide for Advanced Users

This article is the continuation of the “Combine multiline logs into a single event with SOCK - a step-by-step ...

Everything Community at .conf24!

You may have seen mention of the .conf Community Zone 'round these parts and found yourself wondering what ...

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...