I have a search to find total ingest into splunk, which i can run for a day or against a longer period by using the time picker. If you run it against a 24 hour period it tells you how much raw data has been ingested into splunk in 24 hours. It works well. Management have asked to find what was the largest single day ingest in a 90 day period.
How would i go about editing my search to display this?
The base search is:
index=* OR index=_* | fields sourcetype, _raw |eval size=len(_raw) |stats sum (size) as size | eval size=round(size/1024/1024,2)
I tried editing it to this and it seems to work but i'm not sure ther esult i'm seeing is what i hope it is haha
index=* OR index=_* | fields sourcetype, _raw | eval size=len(_raw) | stats sum (size) as size | eval size=round(size/1024/1024,2) | bucket _time span=1d | stats max(size) as MaxSingleDayIngest
Can someone give me a sanity check please? I feel like the result i'm getting is too large to be correct. 🙂
Yeah i've confirmed that its just giving me the total ingestion over the time period. I'm really trying to sort the raw data into 1day buckets and then display the largest bucket. if that makes sense.
Hopefully someone can assist! 🙂
You can use licenseusage.log file to get your ingestion amount. Kindly try the below query that could give you the date in which maximum data was ingested in specified timeframe.
index=internal source="*licenseusage.log*" type=Usage | bin span=1d _time | stats sum(eval(b/1024/1024/1024)) AS volume by _time| sort- volume| head 1
Hope this helps
OK, I think i worked it out now.
index=* OR index=_* | bin _time span=1d | fields sourcetype, _raw | eval size=len(_raw) | stats sum (size) as size | eval size=round(size/1024/1024,2) |stats sum(size) by _time
Gives me the total ingested for the time period i searched for and then breaks it down by day. Also plots it nicely on a line graph.
Might rename the fields so it labels them nicely but this works for now!