Splunk Search

how to search in default indexes (not only one) in one app without providing the index.

zugji
Path Finder

Hello folks

There is a way to configure which indexes belongs which splunk app. Is there also a way to configure in app to tell splunk per default which indexes to search through.
Let's say I have three indexes called: ix1, ix2, ix3

If I go to the searchbar of this app I would like that splunk is adding a base search: index=ix1 OR index=ix2 OR index=ix3 <rest_of_the_search_provided_by_the_user> that I don't have to enter everytime all indexes.

Thanks for your advise.

0 Karma

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Short answer : No.
The index access is controlled by the roles, not by the apps.

You can use a macros specific to the app to prefill your base search, but you will have to find a way to call that macro.
You may want to piggy back on this question for way to script that :
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/521009/in-a-custom-app-dashboard-is-it-possible-to-have-a.html

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I usually create an eventtype with all indexes and I use it in every search, so in this way I can add or delete an index from my search without modifying all dashboards.
Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...