Splunk Search

how to prepare db_output in advance

boromir
Path Finder

Hi all,

So here is the deal, I have to prepare some( a lot) db_outputs(using db_connect), however the corresponding tables are not yet existing. Colleagues responsible for that are on different tasks. I would like to configure the exports in advance, so that once the tables are ready, the output would just flow. (and I might not be able to work on that later) 

I did not manage to find a way using the GUI for that , as it always requires every step of the the way to be fulfilled, so even if I had data waiting for me, I would not be able to prep the field matching. So my idea is to configure them in db_outputs.conf, then a restart of the HF, should (or at least i think) be the solution.

However, there is this....

customized_mappings = <string>
# required
# Specifies the output data name (fieldx) and database column number (1...n) mappings.
# The expected format is:
#   field1:column1:type1,field2:column2:type2,…,fieldN:columnN:typeN

And I do not know where to get the values for the types( I already know what field will be varchar, timestamp etc.... what I do not know is numeric representation of the field types).

So it is a two fold question,

1) does anybody know this numeric to field type mapping (for example varchar=12, unassigned integer=4.... these I got from previous tables) ?

2) has anyone configured outputs in advance, before the corresponding table is even created, and does it start later automatically? 

have fun!

rd

Labels (3)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Day 0

Hello Splunk Community! My name is Chris, and I'm based in Canberra, Australia's capital, and I travelled for ...

Enhance Security Visibility with Splunk Enterprise Security 7.1 through Threat ...

(view in My Videos)Struggling with alert fatigue, lack of context, and prioritization around security ...

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...