Splunk Search

how to exclude the subsearch result from main search

ycho1
Explorer

hello,

Can anyone tell me how to exclude the subsearch result from main search?
I want to exclude the result that failed at 1st attempt, but later the person purchased successfully.

I only want to capture PURCHASEID(s) that failed and has not been able to purchase yet.

Here's my pseudo code that I am trying to accomplish

index=main sourcetype="access_combined_wcookie" AND ("*TIME_OUT*")
| rex field=_raw "\[(?<PURCHASEID>\d{12}\-\d{3})\]"
| search NOT [ search index=main sourcetype="access_combined_wcookie" AND ("*Successfully Ordered*")"
| rex field=_raw "\[(?<PURCHASEID>\d{12}\-\d{3})\]" | table PURCHASEID]
| table PURCHASEID, _raw
| dedup PURCHASEID
| sort +PURCHASEID

Labels (1)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could try it with subsearch and exclusion (you'd need to enclose the subsearch in parentheses though) but it will be highly inefficient. If you can corelate on a particular field (and I can see you want to use PURCHASEID for this), use either selfjoin, transaction or even simple stats to group your events.

0 Karma

ycho1
Explorer

Can you provide me a good example on how to write selfjoin or other solution with my intention if you are willing to help?

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

ycho1
Explorer

Is there any other suggestion?

I have not made much progress on this,  I was looking for some examples with selfjoin, transaction or stats commad, it won't go anywhere.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...