Splunk Search

find all events of type X that do not have an event of type Y within 1 minute on either side

noah10
Explorer

I'm new to Splunk and trying to figure out how to find all events of type X that do NOT have an event of type Y within 1 minute (before or after) of them. I found http://answers.splunk.com/answers/137069/find-all-events-not-having-a-corresponding-event-matched-by... , but in my case the events have nothing to correlate them except for time, and I haven't been able to adapt the answer for that question to my case. Any suggestions about the best way to accomplish such a search?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

OK, I realized that I forgot to discriminate one more time once I find values in the map. This will work for sure:

eventtype=type_y
| streamstats current=f window=1 max(_time) as prevTime
| eval myTime=_time
| eval delta=myTime-prevTime
| where delta>120
| map maxsearches=10000 search="search eventtype=type_x earliest=$prevTime$ latest=$myTime$
| eval lowDelta=_time-$prevTime$
| eval highDelta=$mYtime$-_time
| where lowDelta>60 highDelta>60"

View solution in original post

vganjare
Builder

HI,

How about finding the different time ranges for every occurance of X and then use this to find all the events which do not have the occurance of Y within specified time range (i.e. 1 min in your case). Following query can give you some idea:

index=_internal  [ search index=_internal   log_level="ERROR"  | eval latestTime = (strptime(strftime(_time,"%m/%d/%Y:%H:%M:%S"),"%m/%d/%Y:%H:%M:%S") + (1* 60) ) | eval earliestTime = (latestTime-(1 * 60)) | table latestTime earliestTime | eval QueryToken = "(earliest=".earliestTime." latest=".latestTime.") OR" | stats values(QueryToken) as QueryValues | makemv delim="||" QueryValues | eval QueryFilter = substr(QueryValues , 1, len(QueryValues)-3)  | return $QueryFilter] log_level!="WARNING" |chart count over _time by log_level usenull=f

Following is the logic:

• Search for events which has log_level as ERROR (using subsearch) (this is filer X).
  • Find out the latest time and earliest time for every event ( 1 min early an 1 min later).
  • Construct the dynamic query filter which will have the different earliest and latest times (depending on the events from point 1)
  • Use this dynamic query along with log_level!="WARNING" filter (i.e. not Y filter) for the main search.

Hope this will help to solve the problem.

Thanks!!

0 Karma

acharlieh
Influencer

This isn't going to work how you think it is. Namely, returning multiple earliest and latest values from a subsearch doesn't cause the parent search to look at multiple earliest and latest segments. Searches span a single time range each. Therefore only one earliest and latest winds up being effective.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

OK, I realized that I forgot to discriminate one more time once I find values in the map. This will work for sure:

eventtype=type_y
| eval myTime=_time
| where delta>120
| map maxsearches=10000 search="search eventtype=type_x earliest=$prevTime$ latest=$myTime$

jwalzerpitt
Influencer

When I run the query above I get the following error:

"Error in 'map': Did not find value for required attribute 'prevTime'."

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You must paste it in exactly; something is being modified wrong.

0 Karma

jwalzerpitt
Influencer

Here is my query as I am looking for users who have logged in more than once:

eventtype="sremote_login_succeeded" 
 | streamstats max(_time) as prevTime 
 | eval myTime=_time 
 | where delta>120 
 | map search="search eventtype=sremote_login_succeeded earliest=$prevTime$ latest=$myTime$ 
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

The first problem is that you hare using the same values for eventtypes (inside and outside the map), which is either wrong, or means that you can use a FAR simpler method. Which is it?

0 Karma

jwalzerpitt
Influencer

Trying to determine concurrent logins by user. Is there a different (simpler) method for doing so?

Thx

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

jwalzerpitt
Influencer

Thx for the pointer to the command/doc. I'll take a look...

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Try this:

eventtype="sremote_login_succeeded" 
| sort _time 
| eval myTime=_time 
| where delta>120 
| map search="search eventtype=sremote_login_succeeded earliest=$prevTime$ latest=$myTime$ 
0 Karma

jwalzerpitt
Influencer

Looking at earlier queries you listed, I modified the following line as such to see if I could get rid of the error re: search results count exceeding maximum

| map maxsearches=10000 search="search eventtype=sremote_login_succeeded earliest=$prevTime$ latest=$myTime$

and I get a new error message under Job:

Unable to run query 'search eventtype=sremote_login_succeeded earliest=1467642228 latest=1467642422 | eval lowDelta=_time-1467642228 | eval highDelta=1467642422-_time | where lowDelta>60 highDelta>60'.

0 Karma

jwalzerpitt
Influencer

Thx for the new query - I ran it for a 24 hour time period (7 day and 30 day as well) and no results found (which is good), but the Job has the yellow exclamation point and states the following:

The search result count (161) exceeds maximum (10), using max. To override it, set maxsearches appropriately.

Unable to run query 'search eventtype=sremote_login_succeeded earliest=1467642228 latest=1467642422 | eval lowDelta=_time-1467642228 | eval highDelta=1467642422-_time | where lowDelta>60 highDelta>60'.

0 Karma

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Now do it without the map and I will accept the answer 😉

0 Karma

noah10
Explorer

OK - After playing with it for a while I came up with this, which seems to work:

eventtype=type_y 
| sort _time 
| eval myTime=_time 
| where delta>120 
| map search="search eventtype=type_x earliest=$prevTime$ latest=$myTime$ 
| eval highDelta=$myTime$-_time 

Pretty close to the above, obviously, although the sort _time clause and the current=f window=1 params for the streamstats clause are critical to make sure that delta actually turns out as expected. Thanks for all of the help, everyone - this turned out to be much more complicated than I originally thought!

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

I am glad it was close enough for you to adjust to perfection without too much hassle.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Also, you are missing the maxsearches=10000 part, which is very important.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

I think the choice is between map and subsearch and map is better so why bother?

0 Karma

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Yes, it makes my point, not yours: non-subsearch (non-join) options such as stats + map are generally preferable. Does my answer work or not?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...