Splunk Search

extract from source path not working

kittle

I tried to follow the directions here to extract a field from the source path of my directory -- but i cant seem to get it working.

At the end of the post it says to add

EXTRACT-ws_component = ^/([^/]+)$ in source

to my props.conf file. since this is a windows machine, I changed the backslash (/) to escaped forward slash (\\) and I end up with this

EXTRACT-ws_component = ^\\([^\\]+)$ in source'

Then when I go into search, my new field does not show up.

In the end I want to extract a field from pathname of the files A sample of the pathanmes is like so:

D:\extract\stressTest\hkln288p\WLS_ATH1\logs\out.log  
D:\extract\stressTest\hkln288p\WLS_CMB_NA1\logs\out.log  
D:\extract\stressTest\hkln289p\WLS_ATH2\logs\out.log  
D:\extract\stressTest\hkln289p\WLS_ATH\logs\out.log  
D:\extract\stressTest\hkln289p\WLS_CMB_BAC2\logs\out.log 

where the field I want to extract is the WLS_* section: WLS_ATH1, WLS_ATH2... etc

how do I accomplish this?

lastly -- please excuse any oversights here, ive only been using splunk for a few days.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

You could try the following in props.conf for the sourcetype in question.

[your_sourcetype]
EXTRACT-wls = \\WLS_(?<ZZZ>[A-Z0-9_]+)

should give you a new field called ZZZ which would contain the various WLS_* (but not the leading WLS_ part, i.e ATH, ATH2, CMB_BAC2 etc)

Hope this helps,

K

View solution in original post

0 Karma

sowings
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Your initial regex featured a caret (^) in the initial position meaning "start at the beginning of the string" in regex-ese. Since the paths begin with D:\, your regex wasn't going to match. Glad to see you've got it working.

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

You could try the following in props.conf for the sourcetype in question.

[your_sourcetype]
EXTRACT-wls = \\WLS_(?<ZZZ>[A-Z0-9_]+)

should give you a new field called ZZZ which would contain the various WLS_* (but not the leading WLS_ part, i.e ATH, ATH2, CMB_BAC2 etc)

Hope this helps,

K

0 Karma

kittle

Thanks - that was enough to get it working. note the line MUST read EXTRACT-wls = \\WLS_(?<ZZZ>[A-Z0-9_]+) in source in order to work properly

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...