Splunk Search

examples of searches to capture network thruput

Kendrick33
Explorer

Do you have any examples of searches capturing network thruput?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

Simeon
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Splunk will track the top 10 inputs based on source and host. To retrieve that information, you could run the following search:

index=_internal source=*metrics.log* per_host_thruput | timechart sum(kb) by series

To increase the number of tracked inputs, you can set that in your limits.conf file for metrics tracking.

Genti
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

how about this:

index="_internal" source="*metrics.log*" per_host_thruput | timechart max(kbps) by series | addtotals
0 Karma

Kendrick33
Explorer

I am monitoring a cluster of servers and am trying to capture the network thruput by host. I know splunk has a basic one out of the box. Thrput_by_host(*). However, I would like to be able to pinpoint the thruput of each server. When I attempted to hone the search, I couldn't get any data back. For example

Thruput_by_host(*) | timechart span=24h avg(Thruput_by_host()) as AvgHostThruput, AvgHostThruput renders nothing.

0 Karma

Simeon
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Your question is not very clear without any information about the data source (input).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...