Splunk Search

eval if(X,Y,Z) always returns Z whether X matches or not

cblanton
Communicator

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.3.0/SearchReference/ConditionalFunctions#if.28X.2CY.2...

I'm trying to do this exact same thing but my search doesn't seem to recognize when Event="mock". It sets the Z value to MedRepoCloneMergeTime, regardless. I've tried changing the Z value and that changes, but when the X matches, it doesn't return Y, only Z. So it is returning Z and not ignoring the eval all together.

|eval MedRepoCloneMergeTime=if(Event="mock", "NA", MedRepoCloneMergeTime)

When X doesn't match, it also returns Z.

Tags (2)
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

It depends on what you mean by match. In search, Event="mock" will be case insensitive, but in if/where, it will be case sensitive to make it the same, do this:

... |eval MedRepoCloneMergeTime=if(match(Event, "^(?i)mock$"), "NA", MedRepoCloneMergeTime)

Also, maybe you are assuming that Event has your event in it, but it does not, that field is called _raw so perhaps what you really need is this:

... |eval MedRepoCloneMergeTime=if(match(_raw, "(?i)mock"), "NA", MedRepoCloneMergeTime)

It is hard to tell because you did not give us your events.

0 Karma

mmqt
Path Finder

Z is the false statement, so its stating that field:"Event" does not match "mock". Try using a like statement

|eval "newEvent"=if(like(Event, "%mock%"), "true", "false")

cblanton
Communicator

That didn't work either.

MedRepoCloneMergeTime and Event are existing fields. It returns Z even if the eval should be true.

Event only has 4 options in my data. Even when I add Event="mock" to the search it returns false.

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@cblanton this is a very basic scenario which should work fine. Please try the following run anywhere example. When the Event is set to mock it returns NA. Which is the expected behavior.

| makeresults 
| eval Event="mock",MedRepoCloneMergeTime=strftime(now(),"%c")
| eval MedRepoCloneMergeTime=if(Event="mock", "NA", MedRepoCloneMergeTime)

This makes me think maybe the value in Event is not exactly the same as "mock". Does it have leading/trailing whitespace character? Or does it have a different casing?

Try with match() for regular expression case insensitive match instead of exact match | eval MedRepoCloneMergeTime=if(match(Event,"(?i)mock"), "NA", MedRepoCloneMergeTime)

Following is a run anywhere example to test this:

| makeresults 
| eval Event=" Mock ",MedRepoCloneMergeTime=strftime(now(),"%c")
| eval MedRepoCloneMergeTime=if(match(Event,"(?i)mock"), "NA", MedRepoCloneMergeTime)

adonio
Ultra Champion

can you share your full search and data sample?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

March Community Office Hours Security Series Uncovered!

Hello Splunk Community! In March, Splunk Community Office Hours spotlighted our fabulous Splunk Threat ...

Stay Connected: Your Guide to April Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars in April. This post ...

Want to Reduce Costs, Mitigate Risk, Improve Performance, or Increase Efficiencies? ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...