Splunk Search

duration of two consecutive log statement

firasarabo
Path Finder

Hi,

I tried to use "transaction" command but I couldn't get what I wanted, I thought to ask the question here if somebody can give hint/solution

so I do have an application that output logs as follows

2012-08-23 19:36:19,612 INFO THR_ID=729108133 some message

2012-08-23 19:36:21,612 INFO THR_ID=729108133 some message

2012-08-23 19:36:22,612 INFO THR_ID=729108133 some message

2012-08-23 19:36:25,612 INFO THR_ID=729108133 some message

etc

I would like to write a search that gives me the duration between each two logging lines for the saem THR_ID, so in this scenario I should see somthing like

Duration

any ideas how to accomplish this?

Thanks,
Firas

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Sure,

I looks like you should check the delta command, and use it on the built-in _time field. Something like this.

your_search | sort THR_ID, _time| delta _time as t_diff | table t_diff, THR_ID, whatever_else_you_want_to_show_from_the_event

UPDATE: forgot that you'd need to sort on THR_ID in order to get correct results. Oops. Fixed that.

Hope this helps,

Kristian

View solution in original post

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Sure,

I looks like you should check the delta command, and use it on the built-in _time field. Something like this.

your_search | sort THR_ID, _time| delta _time as t_diff | table t_diff, THR_ID, whatever_else_you_want_to_show_from_the_event

UPDATE: forgot that you'd need to sort on THR_ID in order to get correct results. Oops. Fixed that.

Hope this helps,

Kristian

firasarabo
Path Finder

thanks, the delta will get me what I wanted.

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

updated /k

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...

Adoption of Infrastructure Monitoring at Splunk

Splunk's Growth Engineering team showcases one of their first Splunk product adoption-Splunk Infrastructure ...

Modern way of developing distributed application using OTel

Recently, I had the opportunity to work on a complex microservice using Spring boot and Quarkus to develop a ...