Splunk Search

combine two search results tables by matching fields value

kannu
Communicator

Hello Guys ,

I am having results from two different query

1> index=_internal ("version" AND source="/opt/splunk/var/log/splunk/metrics.log") | table hostname , version

output
hostname version
abc.com 6.6.2

2> index=* source=computer |stats count by host,Manufacturer

host Manufacturer
abc.com HP

Is there any way in which i can combine the results of two into one by correlating hostname and host field .

expected output

host version Manufacturer
abc.com 6.6.2 HP

I dont want to use join command to get the expected output

please help

Thanks
Manish

Tags (1)
0 Karma

knielsen
Contributor

Try

(index=_internal "version" source="/opt/splunk/var/log/splunk/metrics.log") OR (index=* source=computer) | eval host=coalesce(host, hostname) | stats values(version) as version values(Manufacturer) as Manufacturer by host

Regards,
-Kai.

0 Karma

kannu
Communicator

@knielsen . Your query is not returning the result in manner which i want .

SsdfWsdfC4 VMware, Inc.
SWsdfBeF5 VMware, Inc.
ansdfging5 5.0.3

asd1dfsing6 5.0.3

ansdfsdfg2

0 Karma

vik_splunk
Communicator

Considering you do not want to use join, see if the following approach works for you.

|multisearch [search index=_internal ("version" AND source="/opt/splunk/var/log/splunk/metrics.log")][search index=* source=computer]|stats latest(version) AS Version latest(Manufacturer) AS Manufacturer by host

Is there a reason you do not want to use join?

0 Karma

kannu
Communicator

@vik_splunk

Actually join command is very heavy , in production i have more than 4000 hosts so comparing each host value with hostname entry was taking almost 10 minutes for completing the result

0 Karma

vik_splunk
Communicator

@kannu - For the multisearch query I see what the issue is , try the below.

|multisearch [search index=_internal ("version" AND source="/opt/splunk/var/log/splunk/metrics.log")][search index=* source=computer]|rename hostname as host|stats latest(version) AS Version latest(Manufacturer) AS Manufacturer by host

An alternate option is to create a lookup that's updated once a day for manufacturer and then use it to populate your other search.

You can use index=* source=computer |stats count by host,Manufacturer to populate your lookup and then use the same as a lookup for the internal data search

0 Karma

kannu
Communicator

@vik_splunk

Its still not working Manufacturer column is not getting populated

host Version Manufacturer
AN2SQLTEST01 6.6.2

ANMAADMINTS01 6.4.3

MINESM003 6.6.2

anddevcaspec02 6.6.2

anddevcaspec03 6.6.2

anddevcaspec05 6.6.2

anddevcaspec07 6.6.2

andndevsplunk-mn-01 6.6.7

andqacaspec02 6.6.2

anma1camcore001 7.2.0

0 Karma

vik_splunk
Communicator

@kannu. Can you please provide limited sample data(masked) for both your internal and your custom sourcetype to proceed?

Make sure when you mask the data to match the hostname field in _internal to the host for which you are trying to get the manufacturer.

0 Karma

kannu
Communicator

@vik_splunk

That is my question actually as you are saying that match the hostname with host for which i am looking manufacturer .

I said that matching can be done i am getting the result using join command only , is there any way except join in which i can map the hostname from _internal to host in .

0 Karma

vik_splunk
Communicator

@kannu - I believe it is possible without having to use join. Just need some sample data so I can build and test the query.

0 Karma

kannu
Communicator

Hello @vik_splunk

I tried running your search but output is not coming as expected

host Version Manufacturer
ANMqweMIewwSe01 VMware, Inc.
MINEqweq HP
andndasdasnk-idx-01 6.6.7

andndasdaunk-idx-02 6.6.7

andnddsadunk-idx-03 6.6.2

anasddlunk-mn-01 6.6.2

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...