Splunk Search

cohorting with fixed first event dates

stephenreece

morning all,

I am struggling with the logic around doing this.

I am trying to run a report from 01/01/2018 to today looking at how many times (ideally in a range), that users are using the service. (what they do is almost irrelevant, just that they are on it is enough.

The challenge is 1 want 2 years of behaviour and not anyone using it within 2 years...

so ideally i need to isolate all users who entered in say 01/01/2018 to 01/02/2018 and then what their behaviour has been over the 2 years since.

What i have so far is:

sourcetype=mymainsourcetype
| stats values(_time) as source by clientIP

(this is ideal as i get to see ALL the users and their entries (however i now need to isolate just where the first entry is between 1st jan 18 and 1st feb 18.

any ideas would be great

Tags (1)
0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
index=mymainindex sourcetype=mymainsourcetype starttime=01/01/2018:00:00:00 endtime=02/01/2018:00:00:00 clientIP=*
| stats count(_time) as appear_count min(_time) as first_appear max(_time) as last_appear range(_time) as duration list(_time) as time_list by clientIP
| foreach *_appear  [ fieldformat <<FIELD>>=strftime(<<FIELD>>,"%c")]

You should check the status of clientIP with this search and then consider the next search method.

0 Karma

stephenreece

i've found starttime=01/01/2018:00:00:00 endtime=02/01/2018:00:00:00 which is one step close

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...