Splunk Search

cant figure this out

kjonesdba_lm
Explorer

I have this query below .. I need to report on the last successful backup 'over' 24 hours.. which this does... however what I cant figure out how to do is report when all backups have failed for 30 days. (no successful backups ever). _time is the time the backup ran and the log information written to splunk.

For instance if I remove the 'where' statement on the query it brings back 2 rows (1 success, 1 failed) on those backups that had both. it will bring 1 row back where there has been no successful backup (all failed)

I cannot figure out how to code the where to handle both conditions

index="storage" sourcetype="rubrik:prod"  ndc="MSSQL_DB*"  status=Failure OR status=Success
| rex field=_raw "from [\'](?[^\']\w+-\w+)"
| rex field=_raw "backup for (?\w+-\w+)\."
| rex field=_raw "eventSeriesId=(?.*?)\ objectId="
| rex field=_raw "objectName=(?.*?)\ eventId"
| rex field=_raw "Microsoft SQL Server Database \'(?.+)\' from"
| search SERVER_NAME="VMPIT-G4FDB003"
| search DATABASE_NAME="FBI"
| search NOT [ | inputlookup Servers_Pending_Deletion.csv | fields SERVER_NAME ] 
| table SERVER_NAME _time _raw status DATABASE_NAME| stats max(_time) as TopTime  by SERVER_NAME, DATABASE_NAME,status | sort by  SERVER_NAME,DATABASE_NAME,  _time desc 
| where ((TopTime <= relative_time(now(),"-24h") and TopTime > relative_time(now(),"-30d") and status="Success" ))
| eval lm_24_ago=strftime(relative_time(now()-14400,"-24h"),"%m-%d-%y %H:%M:%S")
| eval lm_report_date=strftime(now()-14400,"%m-%d-%y %H:%M:%S")
| eval lm_7d_ago=strftime(relative_time(now()-14400,"-7d"),"%m-%d-%y %H:%M:%S")
| eval lm_last_backup=strftime(TopTime-14400, "%m-%d-%y %H:%M:%S") | sort by lm_last_backup desc
| eval lm_ci=SERVER_NAME
| eval lm_database=DATABASE_NAME
| eval lm_status=status
| eval lm_rows=rct
| table lm*
Tags (1)
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

The biggest problem was and instead of AND. Other things were inefficient. Try this:

... | search SERVER_NAME="VMPIT-G4FDB003" AND DATABASE_NAME="FBI" AND NOT [ | inputlookup Servers_Pending_Deletion.csv | fields SERVER_NAME ] 
| eval Time = if(_time >= relative_time(now(),"-24h"), mvappend(Time, "Within_24_hours"), Time)
| eval Time = if(_time >= relative_time(now(),"-30d"), mvappend(Time, "Within_30_days"), Time)
| eval Time = coalesce(Time, "UNKNOWN")
| stats max(_time) AS _time BY SERVER_NAME DATABASE_NAME status Time
| eval {Time} = _time
| stats values(*) AS * BY SERVER_NAME DATABASE_NAME status

At this point, the logic should be easy.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

P.S. Your subject line is terrible; put some real effort into it next time. I was tempted to respond with, Can't figure out your question.

kjonesdba_lm
Explorer

Thanks will do better next time

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Did the answer work for you?

0 Karma

Sukisen1981
Champion

something like this...?

index="storage" sourcetype="rubrik:prod" ndc="MSSQL_DB*" status=Failure OR status=Success
| rex field=_raw "backup for (?\w+-\w+)."
| rex field=_raw "eventSeriesId=(?.?)\ objectId="
| rex field=_raw "objectName=(?.?)\ eventId"
| search NOT [ | inputlookup Servers_Pending_Deletion.csv | fields SERVER_NAME ] 
| table SERVER_NAME _time _raw status DATABASE_NAME| stats max(_time) as TopTime by SERVER_NAME, DATABASE_NAME,status | sort by SERVER_NAME,DATABASE_NAME, _time desc 
| where ((TopTime <= relative_time(now(),"-24h") and TopTime > relative_time(now(),"-30d") and status="Success" ))
| eval lm_24_ago=strftime(relative_time(now()-14400,"-24h"),"%m-%d-%y %H:%M:%S")
| eval lm_report_date=strftime(now()-14400,"%m-%d-%y %H:%M:%S")
| eval lm_7d_ago=strftime(relative_time(now()-14400,"-7d"),"%m-%d-%y %H:%M:%S")
| eval lm_last_backup=strftime(TopTime-14400, "%m-%d-%y %H:%M:%S") | sort by lm_last_backup desc
| eval lm_ci=SERVER_NAME
| eval lm_database=DATABASE_NAME
| eval lm_status=status
| eval lm_rows=rct
| table lm*|append [search index="storage" sourcetype="rubrik:prod" ndc="MSSQL_DB*" status=Failure OR status=Success
| rex field=_raw "backup for (?\w+-\w+)."
| rex field=_raw "eventSeriesId=(?.?)\ objectId="
| rex field=_raw "objectName=(?.?)\ eventId"
| table SERVER_NAME _time _raw status DATABASE_NAME| stats max(_time) as TopTime by SERVER_NAME, DATABASE_NAME,status | sort by SERVER_NAME,DATABASE_NAME, _time desc 
| stats count as countx|where countx=0|eval countx="no backups"]
0 Karma

kjonesdba_lm
Explorer

That was very helpful. Thanks for taking some time with this.. it is doing what I want and I understand what you did.

0 Karma

kjonesdba_lm
Explorer

How would I do this 'without' passing in server_name and database_name ... to do this for all nodes and servers we have.

0 Karma

Sukisen1981
Champion

hi @kjonesdba_lm
I am a bit confused now replace specific server or db names with * in the query?
That should search for ALL server and db names, also as woodcock mentioned change your syntax of and to AND
PS - woodock is a very knowledgeable and valuable member of the forum, he acts tough sometimes, but trust me , he is real good inside 🙂 🙂

0 Karma

Sukisen1981
Champion

@kjonesdba_lm
I have converted my comment into an answer, please accept the answer if it significantly helped resolve your query for the benefit of other forum members, who might run into a similar issue.

0 Karma

jawaharas
Motivator

"report when all backups have failed for 30 days"

Isn't below condition returns the result you expect?

If below condition didn't return any events, I believe it meant all backups failed for last 30 days,

... | where ((TopTime <= relative_time(now(),"-24h") and TopTime > relative_time(now(),"-30d") and status="Success" ))
0 Karma

kjonesdba_lm
Explorer

how do you alert on that "if the condition didn't return any events"? that's the issue.. we use splunk to create problem tickets.. one wont be created for no results which is what occurs if backups fail on a database for 30days straight.

I am stumped

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...