Splunk Search

applying current time multiple times (per specific event)

PawelSplunk
Engager

Hello Everyone

I'm trying to calculate the "time_difference" between one column and another in Splunk. The problem is that the value from which I substract something is current time and when I use the current time value it is shown in a table as one event (epoch_current_time). Therefore when I substract value "epoch_password_last_modified" from "epoch_current_time" i get no results. Is there a way to make "epoch_current_time" visible each time in each row like "epoch_password_last_modified" value?

PawelSplunk_1-1712064976461.png

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It looks like "epoch_password_last_modified" is a multivalue field; assuming you want to continue processing this a set of multivalue fields (although I think you might be better off expanding to individual events or not creating the multivalue fields in the first place), you could try something like this

| eval time_difference=mvmap(epoch_password_last_modified, epoch_current_time - epoch_password_last_modified)

View solution in original post

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It looks like "epoch_password_last_modified" is a multivalue field; assuming you want to continue processing this a set of multivalue fields (although I think you might be better off expanding to individual events or not creating the multivalue fields in the first place), you could try something like this

| eval time_difference=mvmap(epoch_password_last_modified, epoch_current_time - epoch_password_last_modified)

PawelSplunk
Engager

Yes. Thank You very much. It works.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...