Splunk Search

Wildcard in Lookup: Why am I getting error "The lookup table 'ssIdlookup' does not exist. It is referenced by configuration data_sourcetype"?

jwhughes58
Contributor

All,

I've seen this:
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/52580/can-we-use-wildcard-characters-in-a-lookup-table.html
and it doesn't work for the case I'm trying. The lookup files live in the etc/apps/search/lookup directory instead of the TA. The reason for this is I want the user to be able to maintain their own exclusion files and they won't have access to the TA. The search looks like this:

index=data_index sourcetype=data_sourcetype NOT [| inputlookup ssid_exclusions ] NOT [| inputlookup authorized_ap_mac ]
| rex field=detectingIPString "(?\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3})"
| eval cidr_simple=cidr.".0/24"
| lookup cidr_lookup.csv cidr_simple
| eval ap_location=street_address." ".city." ".state." ".zip
| table ssId rogueApMacAddr alarmCreationTime cidr_simple detectingIPString ap_location rssi
| sort ssId

The ssid_exclusions and authorized_ap_mac are pointing respectively to ssid_exclusions.csv and authorized_ap_mac.csv in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/search/lookups directory. The data looks like this

ssid_exclusions.csv
ssId_header
ssid_1_to_exclude_from_search
ssid_2_to_exclude_from_search
ssid_n_to_exclude_from_search
ssidA*
ssidB*
ssidZ*

authorized_ap_mac.csv
mac_address_header
mac_address_1
mac_address_2
mac_address_n

Basically simple filters to exclude either the ssid or the mac address from the search results. The problem is when I try the answer given in my TA, see below

default/props.conf

[data_sourcetype]
REPORT-getdatafields = get_data_fields
LOOKUP-ssId = ssIdlookup ssId OUTPUT ssId

default/transforms.conf

#
# Override host
#
[overridehost]
DEST_KEY = MetaData:Host
REGEX = \s([^ ]+)\s\[
FORMAT = host::$1

[severities_lookup]
filename = severities.csv

#
# Get data fields
#
[get_data_fields]
REGEX = (\w+)=([^\,]+)\,
FORMAT = $1::$2

#
# Wildcard ssid
#
[ssIdlookup]
filename = /apps/splunk/etc/apps/search/lookups/ssid_exclusions.csv
match_type = WILDCARD(ssId)

I get an error about not finding the lookup file.

The lookup table 'ssIdlookup' does not exist. It is referenced by configuration data_sourcetype

Any suggestions?

TIA,
Joe

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You could always escalate the scope of your TA from app to global as a simpler option.

Your stuff has many problems, chief of which is that you have only 1 field in your lookup files. You need an input field AND an output field.
Try this:

$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/search/lookups/ssid_exclusions.csv

ssId_header, excludeMeIfY
ssid_1_to_exclude_from_search, Y
ssid_2_to_exclude_from_search, Y
..., Y
ssid_n_to_exclude_from_search, Y
ssidA*, Y
ssidB*, Y
..., Y
ssidZ*, Y

$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/search/default/props.conf

[data_sourcetype]
LOOKUP-ssId_to_excludeMeIfY = ssId_to_excludeMeIfY ssId_header AS ssId OUTPUT excludeMeIfY

$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/search/default/transforms.conf

[ssId_to_excludeMeIfY]
filename = ssid_exclusions.csv
match_type = WILDCARD(ssId_header)

Now you can exclude like this:

... | where isnull(excludeMeIfY)
0 Karma

jwhughes58
Contributor

Thanks, but I was over thinking it. Once I changed it from ssid_exclusions to ssid_exclusions.csv in the search it worked as it should.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...