Splunk Search

Why would a command via CLI that exports to a CSV re-order the columns? Looks like the columns get re-ordered alphanumerically.

kuja
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Splunk Web search ran:

sourcetype=vmstat |head 10| table _time source sourcetype mem_free

OUTPUT is as listed above in that order

Splunk CLI command ran:

root@<machine_name>:/opt/splunk/bin# ./splunk search "sourcetype=vmstat |head 10| table _time source sourcetype mem_free" -maxout 20 -output csv "_time", source, sourcetype, mem_free > test.csv

The order that it shows in the output is alphabetical rather than in the order requested like the UI delivers. Is this expected behavior?

inventsekar
Ultra Champion

i think, the table command changes the output file format.
the -output csv (or table) does not affect the final file format.

please try -

splunk@machine:~/bin> ./splunk search "index=os_nix sourcetype=vmstat earliest=-5m@m latest=now |head 10| table _time source host sourcetype mem_free" -maxout 20 -output table _time, sourcetype, host, source, mem_free > test2.csv

INFO: Your timerange was substituted based on your search string

splunk@machine:~/bin> ./splunk search "index=os_nix sourcetype=vmstat earliest=-5m@m latest=now |head 10| table source host _time sourcetype mem_free" -maxout 20 -output table _time, sourcetype, host, source, mem_free > test3.csv

INFO: Your timerange was substituted based on your search string

0 Karma

gwiner

Mine isn't even alphabetical. The column that should be first is actually last.

0 Karma

carlostapia01

I'm dealing with same issue. Does anyone has solved this nice behaviour?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...