Splunk Search

Why using 'in' in a search doesn't yield correct results?

pr0n
Explorer
index="things" AND sourcetype="user_pixel" AND os="*" | search page = "Contact Us" | timechart span=3hr count by os limit=7

Vs

index="things" AND sourcetype="user_pixel" AND os="*" | search page in ("Contact Us") | timechart span=3hr count by os limit=7

The first search gives many results as expected, the second gives nothing.

My ultimate goal is to use a dashboard multi-select to apply this filter. However; first I need to get the "in" function to work correctly. What am I doing wrong?

0 Karma
1 Solution

nickhills
Ultra Champion

Your use of ‘in’ is incorrect

It should be in(page, “Contact Us”,”some other page”)

However, ‘in’ evaluates to true/false, so you can’t use it with search, it’s an evaluation function.

|eval result=in(page, “Contact Us”,”some other page”)

Then you can do:
|where result=true

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

spayneort
Contributor

IN should be in caps, and you should not need the "| search" in there.

index="things" AND sourcetype="user_pixel" AND os="*" page IN ("Contact Us") | timechart span=3hr count by os limit=7

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.4/SearchReference/Search#Multiple_field-value_compa...

nickhills
Ultra Champion

Your use of ‘in’ is incorrect

It should be in(page, “Contact Us”,”some other page”)

However, ‘in’ evaluates to true/false, so you can’t use it with search, it’s an evaluation function.

|eval result=in(page, “Contact Us”,”some other page”)

Then you can do:
|where result=true

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...