Splunk Search

Why is `trigger_time` different for every _audit search query?

LegalPrime
Path Finder

I am running following search query to obtain history of triggered alerts (time, name, severity), manually:

index=_audit action=alert_fired ss_app=* | eval ttl=expiration-now() | search ttl>0 | table trigger_time ss_name severity | rename trigger_time as "Alert Time" ss_name as "Alert Name" severity as "Severity"

I am observing following strange behavior: I am running this for "all time", yet I can never match timestamps for two searches.

What I mean by this is that if I search for value of `trigger_time` for alert that triggered in May, and search for that very same value in all time export generated in June, I will not find it. It is not a single occurrence. Whichever record I randomly select, I am unable to find in other files exporting seemingly the same data.

In case it is important: I have 3 SeachHeads in a cluster.

Is this a bug? (v8.0.2.1)

If this is not a bug, how do I make Splunk to provide precise time of when alerts were triggered?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...